Overclock.net banner

New to AMD looking for advice

2K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  Tarun 
#1 ·
Hello. im looking to spend very very little on a motherboard and CPU for a gaming rig.. doesnt have to be beastly, but i dont want the CPU to bottleneck my gtx 560 ti.. im looking for an upgrade for an q6600@ 3.5ghz to give you an idea of what i need to beat.. 3.5 just isnt cutting it.. any ideas?? i havent owned AMD in years so im totally out of the loop.

again just looking for the cheapest and ability to play bf3 without any cpu issues.

#4 ·
Clock for clock the Phenom II's perform the same as the Core2 Quad

So basically you need a AMD that will clock higher than your 3.5

#5 ·
AMD isn't going to be a major upgrade for your purposes. BF3 singleplayer relies almost entirely on GPU, so you should get the same results as your current processor even if you upgrade CPU. For BF3 multiplayer, an AMD is only a small upgrade based on how high you overclock. You should be looking at an i5 minimum for an upgrade, though I'm not sure how much real world benefit you'll see.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxis View Post

perhaps in english.. even microsoft translator doesnt know what your saying
mad.gif
Is this a bot? I got the same message in one of my threads but it's got deleted? IMO it's about a driving licence.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

AMD isn't going to be a major upgrade for your purposes. BF3 singleplayer relies almost entirely on GPU, so you should get the same results as your current processor even if you upgrade CPU. For BF3 multiplayer, an AMD is only a small upgrade based on how high you overclock. You should be looking at an i5 minimum for an upgrade, though I'm not sure how much real world benefit you'll see.
Well with my 2500k and the gtx 560ti iwas getting 99% usage, vs the 60% usage on large maps with the q6600.. ok.. well i guess amd is outta the picutre.. any other options thank the 2500k.? looking for a cheap motherboard.. will not be doing SLI and depending on the cpu i may or maynot overclock.

#8 ·
you a C2Q @ 3.5 Ghz which is at par the phenom II i would say a Phenom II 960T(125$) and a 4+2(89$) or 8+2(100$) would be the cheapest option for you. the reason i suggested you that CPU is pretty simple the other Phenoms are 125w and they usually tend to max out at 3.8 or approx were else the 960T max out around ~4.2Ghz and has a Thuban memory controller which helps it perform better then the other phenom s and lastly as per the 960T club on OCN there are approx 77% chances of your Phenom X4 unlocking to X6 and another thing a 960T overclocked to ~4 Ghz performs more a less like a 2500k stock

or

the other option its go with a 2500k (200$) and a decent Z68 motherboard (140$ or so) would be the best you can get

Hope that helped
thumb.gif

#10 ·
hello,
if you want amd fx,i would say 6100 or above to play bf3.
as schmuckley said 6100 or a 960t and a m5a99x evo or above.
motherboards it all power phases, m599x is a 6+2 power phases ment for a 6 core.if you want an 8 core i recommend 8 power phase board to match.

mother board power phases= http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboard-vrm-information-list

you may wonder why i have a 6+2 power phase board,its because when i came in here for advice on my build ,i got no help from anyone,just rants about I5 2500k chips,which is why i posted in the amd build thread for advice on intel.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun View Post

you a C2Q @ 3.5 Ghz which is at par the phenom II i would say a Phenom II 960T(125$) and a 4+2(89$) or 8+2(100$) would be the cheapest option for you. the reason i suggested you that CPU is pretty simple the other Phenoms are 125w and they usually tend to max out at 3.8 or approx were else the 960T max out around ~4.2Ghz and has a Thuban memory controller which helps it perform better then the other phenom s and lastly as per the 960T club on OCN there are approx 77% chances of your Phenom X4 unlocking to X6 and another thing a 960T overclocked to ~4 Ghz performs more a less like a 2500k stock
or
the other option its go with a 2500k (200$) and a decent Z68 motherboard (140$ or so) would be the best you can get
Hope that helped
thumb.gif
oh lol n00b..

960T @4 GHz can't match a 2500k
wink.gif

@TC

Go for :-

CPU - Intel Core i5-3450 - $200

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H - $120
thumb.gif

#14 ·
nice looking chip that i5,but still has no hyper threading,and that 960t with 6 cores is near on par with an fx 8120,so no,an i3 will not outperform a 960t i would think.

mostly i like the i5's price,its a good tag for it.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit07 View Post

I suggested him a Core i5 Ivy..not an Core i3
Btw for ur kind information let me clear u that a Core i3 2100 outperforms AMD Phenom II x4 960T..
wink.gif
LMAO, an i3 beat a 960t? is highly unlikely.......

#16 ·
Quote:

Btw for ur kind information let me clear u that a Core i3 2100 outperforms AMD Phenom II x4 960T..
wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPerforations View Post

nice looking chip that i5,but still has no hyper threading,and that 960t with 6 cores is near on par with an fx 8120,so no,an i3 will not outperform a 960t i would think.
mostly i like the i5's price,its a good tag for it.
Can you write like a human? Using big letter and punctuations and english words? I'm not 12-years old anymore???

#17 ·
Quote:

wink.gif
NOT in multi threaded applications. I love intel fan boys suggesting a dual core over a AMD quad when its ridiculous

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recursion View Post

Can you write like a human? Using big letter and punctuations and english words? I'm not 12-years old anymore???
your a programmer,can you write in machine code ,like back in the old days?

#19 ·
Quote:

your a programmer,can you write in machine code ,like back in the old days?
Yes. On some machines.

#20 ·
cool
wink.gif

#21 ·
Quote:

cool
wink.gif
or are you drunk or something? It's really hard to read.. sorry.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post

NOT in multi threaded applications. I love intel fan boys suggesting a dual core over a AMD quad when its ridiculous
I think that goes without saying, but for Individual thread performance, those i3 2100s are pretty solid. How cheap is the OP going for? Cause I've seen some incredible performance from the Sandy bridge pentiums, like the g860. Considering they're dual core cpus with no HT.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinz View Post

I think that goes without saying, but for Individual thread performance, those i3 2100s are pretty solid. How cheap is the OP going for? Cause I've seen some incredible performance from the Sandy bridge pentiums, like the g860. Considering they're dual core cpus with no HT.
i was hopping to spend no more than 300 dollars on everything.. im planning on selling my q6600, and 775 board and ram.

#25 ·
ill give u $5?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.