Overclock.net banner

Clearing CMOS on MSI Z77A-G45 doesn't help

20K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sjoggan 
#1 ·
Didn't find a good solution to this problem anywhere.
I built my computer about two weeks ago, and it has been working since. I've had the i5-3570K OC'd from 3.4GHz to about 4.6GHz @ VCore 1.32 and been stable the last week. Today I was going to see if I could push it a bit more, so I tried 5GHz @ VCore 1.4 but it didn't allow me to boot. So I did as usual when I have a failed OC, I clear the CMOS with the button by the I/O-ports. This allows me to go to the screen where it says it has reset and then you can press F1 for BIOS and F2 for boot. However the processor info on that screen said "Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz Speed: 100.00x50 = 5000.0MHz". So it appears the CMOS reset hasn't properly worked. But that wasn't the big problem, but when I try F1 to get in to the BIOS the computer just freezes.

I've tried everything I can think of, unplugging HD's, unplugging PSU, unplugging motherboard, removing the CMOS battery for 30 mins, shorting the CMOS jumpers, pushing the CMOS button, but all that happens is that I either get no signal through to the screen or I get the F1 freeze again. Anyone with a solution?
confused.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
I've owned 4 msi boards and every one of them had quirky issues clearing the cmos. Here's what worked for me when all else failed. Be sure the battery is in place and fire the machine up. Then shut it down and pop the battery out. Reach back and hit your power switch on your psu. Then hit the power switch on the PC. If done correctly your fans and leds should momentarily power up then shut back down. Then put everything back together and try to boot it up. This is what I call a "hard" clear cmos. It is only an issue with my msi boards but this has always cleared my cmos settings when the button and removing the battery have failed. Post back with your result.

(On my phone so quoted my response from another thread. Guy had same issues)

• Rep+
Reactions: sjoggan
#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyJohnson View Post

I've owned 4 msi boards and every one of them had quirky issues clearing the cmos. Here's what worked for me when all else failed. Be sure the battery is in place and fire the machine up. Then shut it down and pop the battery out. Reach back and hit your power switch on your psu. Then hit the power switch on the PC. If done correctly your fans and leds should momentarily power up then shut back down. Then put everything back together and try to boot it up. This is what I call a "hard" clear cmos. It is only an issue with my msi boards but this has always cleared my cmos settings when the button and removing the battery have failed. Post back with your result.
(On my phone so quoted my response from another thread. Guy had same issues)
Tried your method, it brings me to the preboot-screen with the MSI logo on it where you can choose to go in to the BIOS, but when I try to it just freezes.
frown.gif

#4 ·
Well im sorry to say but the other guy had the exact same issues and it ended up needing an RMA to fix it. And that was upon suggestion by another member suffering from it as well. Go ahead and give msi a call and get yourself an RMA setup. Sorry for your troubles.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyJohnson View Post

Well im sorry to say but the other guy had the exact same issues and it ended up needing an RMA to fix it. And that was upon suggestion by another member suffering from it as well. Go ahead and give msi a call and get yourself an RMA setup. Sorry for your troubles.
Gave it a few more tries during the last days, and it's definitvely not working as it should.
So I set the RMA up with MSI and not the retailer then?
Oh it's ok, my own fault to begin with. Thanks for the help!

#6 ·
soo... you found the board to of just up and died on you? i too am using msi-z77a-g45 w/ 3570k... i JUST finished a massive loop around it, and today when going from 4.3 to 4.4 it just froze, now its freezing every time i boot, each time less and less time before it crashes, and i can not get it to reset...

as you know the battery is in between the video cards... and its kinda hard for me to just pop it in and out at this point

was your cpu fine when you got a new mobo?

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupples View Post

soo... you found the board to of just up and died on you? i too am using msi-z77a-g45 w/ 3570k... i JUST finished a massive loop around it, and today when going from 4.3 to 4.4 it just froze, now its freezing every time i boot, each time less and less time before it crashes, and i can not get it to reset...

as you know the battery is in between the video cards... and its kinda hard for me to just pop it in and out at this point

was your cpu fine when you got a new mobo?
First off, I'm terribly sorry about the late answer.
frown.gif

I'm sorry to hear about that, seems like this mobo just isn't too stable under clocking. Anyhow, I sent mine back to the retailer who had set up an RMA for me. They went through the mobo with various tests and didn't find anything odd. So they sent back the board to me, I then reassembled the rig and started fearing that the OC actually killed the processor because the rig just behaved the same way when I tried to restart it again.

So I went down to my local computer repair shop and asked them to take a look at it and when I got it back they had managed to get the Clear CMOS function to do the trick; the rig then worked properly.
biggrin.gif

All in all I have absolutely no clue whatsoever as to what they did that I didn't, but I'm glad it was just an easy fix that ended up costing me about 100$. Oh well just glad it works.

I hope you've already gotten your problem solved!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.