Overclock.net banner

Temperatures and new cooler ?!

473 views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  valkeriefire 
#1 ·
If someone could check my temps, they are ok in your opinion ?

I am using thermal paste MX-4 in a Macho cpu cooler. Stock frequency playing battlefield 3 for 20 minutes, max temperature is 50 degrees. And on 4.5Ghz and 1.21V max temperature in battlefield 3 after 20 minutes playing is 62 degrees. So it's ok ?

If i will buy a Noctua NH-D14, i could have better temps ? Or not a big deal ?

#2 ·
Yes those temps are fine. have you ran a stability test for 12 hours on the Overclock?

#3 ·
Not yet, but i wanted to saw the overall temps with some overclock. Seems from 3.5 the stock to 4.5 it heats with 10 degrees. If i buy a Noctua could the temps be lower ?

How is your temps with your silver arrow ? In games, i am not interested in sintetic tests/stress tests

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalinTM View Post

Not yet, but i wanted to saw the overall temps with some overclock. Seems from 3.5 the stock to 4.5 it heats with 10 degrees. If i buy a Noctua could the temps be lower ?
How is your temps with your silver arrow ? In games, i am not interested in sintetic tests/stress tests
In games? mid 50's I think. But my chip has HT which can make the CPU run very warm. I don't think you need a Noctua/Silver Arrow. I would test using blend test on prime95 and check the temps. This is a must for temp and stability testing. It has to be done mate.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhasa View Post

If you turn off Hyperthreading the temps will drop 5-8 degrees. 50 is completely fine, although you should run a stress test as soon as possible to see if your computer is truly stable. The temps are good, no need to upgrade as of right now. CPUs are built to handle quite abit of heat, your still in the clear!
We can't be so sure until we test stability and temps at full force using synthetic software.

#7 ·
You guys think the Noctua NH-D14 could fit into my case ? With the rear panel in place mounted ?

edit: Ok, i've decited to get a Noctua D14, from the H100 money, but one question, how to i connect the two 4pin fans on the mobo ? I have only one 4 pin connector, for the cpu...

#8 ·
Yes, I'm pretty sure. The CM 690II will probably fit the NHD14.
If you're still unsure, try measuring it out for yourself. Seeing that you can fit the Thermalright Macho, which is already pretty big, I'm pretty sure the NHD14 will fit quite nicely. What you have to look out for, is if the heatsink will take up any RAM slots or collide with any surrounding components ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD, for example mosfet heatsinks, RAM slots. Take in account all these factors before you buy it.
Furthermore, why would you want to purchase the NH-D14? I understand that it's a better cooler and offers many benefits but you will only lower your temperatures by around 5 degrees or so. Your current temperatures are fine. Why bother using money, time and patience to install a new cooler when you're fine with your old?

If you persist with the Noctua NH-D14 then it's up to you. I know the D14 will be able to fit in the CM 690 II, it's the advanced edition so I'm sure coolermaster has made adjustments to accomodate larger coolers.

#9 ·
Ok, but there is another problem, later i want to buy a 680 lightning gpu, and that card has the gpu reactor, if i buy the Noctua, and i mount it, and then later i buy the lightning card, the card is able to fit into the pci express slot, with the gpu reactor cap on it ? I really don't want to remove the cap...

OR, it will fit with my current Macho cooler ? :|

#10 ·
Quote:

You guys think the Noctua NH-D14 could fit into my case ? With the rear panel in place mounted ?
edit: Ok, i've decited to get a Noctua D14, from the H100 money, but one question, how to i connect the two 4pin fans on the mobo ? I have only one 4 pin connector, for the cpu...
You can buy 4 pin to molex converters.

#11 ·
You are perfectly fine, I wouldn't advice upgrading your CPU cooler, if you are not going to overclock more then your performance will be exactly the same and the only difference that would be is you have a different cooler.

I'd say save your money and stay with what you got, 62 C after some time playing BF3 is perfectly fine
smile.gif

#12 ·
OP, please test your stability and temps using prime95 blend test. You can't just push a CPU then fire up and game and call the stability and temps based on those finding alone.
thumb.gif

#18 ·
Why noctua tim ? I have used MX-4. The Noctua tim is better than MX-4 ?

Temps are like this, after playing battlefield 3 for 30 minutes, max temps, no overclock @3.9Ghz with turbo 52-50-52-47

And after 30 minutes of prime95 small FFT's temps: 58-65-64-61 (that 64 and 65 temps actually stayed at 62-63, and 64-65 for some seconds).

Good ?

#19 ·
Quote:

Why noctua tim ? I have used MX-4. The Noctua tim is better than MX-4 ?
Temps are like this, after playing battlefield 3 for 30 minutes, max temps, no overclock @3.9Ghz with turbo 52-50-52-47
And after 30 minutes of prime95 small FFT's temps: 58-65-64-61 (that 64 and 65 temps actually stayed at 62-63, and 64-65 for some seconds).
Good ?
Don't use smallFFT for Ivy bridge. Use blend test. Yeah those temps are fine. Just use the stock TIM that came with the cooler.

#20 ·
The NH-D14 comes with a Y cable that turns your single 4 pin CPU header into 2x4pin. So can run 2 fans without buying anything except the D14.

See the manual here.

Honestly it doesn't sound like you need a D14 though. 60C is a relatively low load temp if BF3 is the most intensive thing you are going to do.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.