Overclock.net banner

Need help making a sub £300 computer for my girlfriend

261 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Gunfire 
#1 ·
Hi there!
My girlfriend is in DIRE need of a new computer. She currently has one on a pentium 4 chip with 512MB of RAM...
But. she's on a very limited budget of £300. I took up the challenge of trying to make a computer, but im not all that sure about components im buying at the lowest of prices or about APUs. I could really do with a hand
tongue.gif

She's basically going to be using it mostly for uni work, internet and a little bit of gaming (Just stuff like left 4 dead, portal, orcs must die etc).
Her requirements are: Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, have wireless, good enough to run her games.... and it has to be pretty
tongue.gif

So far ive come up with this:
AMD A8 5600K - £76
Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-D3H sFM2 Motherboard - £60
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA III - £60
Corsair 4GB DDR3 stick - £15
Asus ATi 6450 1GB - £27
TP-Link Wireless card - £10
CIT 400W PSU - £19
Then either:
the T-Bird or X-case Amera
~£20

So overall it comes to around £290 without windows
who-let-rip-smiley.png

She can get that free from MSDNAA or something though
biggrin.gif

So overall, does this seem like a good build?
And would it be up to speed on games?

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzlePro View Post

i doubt that you will need the asus 6450 since you have a AMD A8 5600K
This.

Take out the GPU and upgrade the CPU to an A10. Or if you're fine with that CPU get more than 4GB of ram.
thumb.gif

Edit: Now that I look at it, you might be able to double your ram AND get the A10 when you remove the GPU. Looks like you'll have a decent set-up
redface.gif

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfire View Post

This.
Take out the GPU and upgrade the CPU to an A10. Or if you're fine with that CPU get more than 4GB of ram.
thumb.gif

Edit: Now that I look at it, you might be able to double your ram AND get the A10 when you remove the GPU. Looks like you'll have a decent set-up
redface.gif
Oh, i didnt realise that it was that powerful
biggrin.gif

I dont think that she would need more than 4GB of RAM, seeing as i dont even use that much
tongue.gif

Or is the need for more RAM to do with it being an APU? Like i say, i dont know much about them :')
Also, would the A10 require a different mobo than the one i have?

Thanks for the help both of ya
smile.gif

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the bloke View Post

Oh, i didnt realise that it was that powerful
biggrin.gif

I dont think that she would need more than 4GB of RAM, seeing as i dont even use that much
tongue.gif

Or is the need for more RAM to do with it being an APU? Like i say, i dont know much about them :')
Also, would the A10 require a different mobo than the one i have?
Thanks for the help both of ya
smile.gif
APU's benefit from the extra RAM for the GPU utilization. And no, you will not need a different mobo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamnitpete View Post

Get the fastest ram you can for the APU, and Get the A10. The APU needs fast ram speeds to perform best. Minimum 1866mhz, IMHO
He doesn't need that much, I doubt there will be much gaming going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.