Overclock.net banner

Geforce GT 440 OEM 144 Core Performance/Scores

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ShyGT 
#1 ·
Hey, quick question, figured this would be the best site (of the ones I still visit), to ask this.

Can't seem to find a straight answer, using the search here, seems to give me a ton of threads and posts totally irrelevant to the search terms I put in, so apologize if I missed it, but after 20 pages of threads, I decided to just post and ask.

Anyone know what kind of Performance scores an OEM Geforce GT 440 with 144 Cores gets?

Can't seem to find any info on it for this stuff.

I know it should be similar to a GTS 450 (or at the very least, close to one), based on its specs, has higher clock speeds, higher memory bus, lower number of cores, but not by much, a good 50% more than the retail 440's. Runs GDDR3 instead of 5, but one would think with those specs it should be close, if not best the 450 in some applications.

though it is a lower wattage card, no PCIe external power connector to the PSU, so that has me wondering.

I bought an OEM 440 from Geeks last night, for my Mini ITX HTPC I'm building, so its not that I'm worried if the card will be good for that, I'm just trying to get a feel for how the card would perform from a gaming standpoint, to better gauge what PC games might run well on it, and which might not do so well. with 1.5GB of GPU memory, games like Skyrim should run pretty decently at 720p (TV's res), even with the HiRes Packs added on, my main rigs Dual GTX 560 Ti's handle that just barely with max settings and HiRes packs added, usually easily maxing out the 1GB of memory they have.

I've got one of those Lian Li PC-Q07 cases, so need a single slot, short GPU, and this fit the bill, with no PCIe Power connector on the butt end of the card to interfere with mounting length either.

am looking at a Sandy Bridge based Celly Dual core (at the very least, or a Pentium G series Sandy) and Mini ITX H67 board, so just need to obtain those, 2nd copy of Windows 7 64-bit, and a decent sized HDD (use my 80GB Velociraptor for now until I can get a decent SSD and 1TB or larger HDD installed), already have the case, an OCZ ModXStream 500W PSU for the case, so aside from those, the last things I need is the GPU, though still need a Wireless Keyboard, Trackball and Game Controller, as well as "Media Center" Remote, but can get those little by little.

Anyways, Am wondering if anyone has any links to actual gaming benchmarks, or posts/threads on here to show how the 144 Core 440's actually perform? Or at the least some 3DMark Bench scores to get an idea?

See less See more
#3 ·
The one I'm inquiring about is the OEM version 440 which is a different card than the regular retail one, its a different GPU core GF104 or 106 I believe, the regular 440 is a GF108. the OEM 440 has 144 cores instead of the regulars 96, 24 ROP's instead of 16, 192-bit instead of 128-bit for the Memory Bus. Its an all around different card than the regular Retail 440's. The only thing the retail ones have that is better is GDDR5 memory, everything else about them is "inferior", with exception of maybe less heat output and power consumption.

Specs for the OEM GT 440: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-440-oem-us.html

Though it shows clock rates of just under 600Mhz for the core, the one I bought has a Clock of about 800MHz.

vs the Retail 440's specs: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-440-channel/specifications

The Benchmark results in those tests are most likely the Retail version 440 (1GB memory is a give away, the OEM's had 1.5 or 3GB), the OEM should be closer to the GTS 450 if anything, or at least about half way between both.

Here's the card I nabbed: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=GT440-PCIE-15DDR3-CO

Here's the more mundane stock clocked OEM 440: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=GT440-PCIE-1536-PB

#4 ·
i had the gt 430 and that had 96 cores.
this provided me with reasonable power, and even some low-mid level gaming... perfect if its just being used for HD videos and 3D ect...
hope this is helpful
smile.gif

#5 ·
the Retail 440 is just a slightly "faster" GT 430, faster clock speeds with GDDR5 memory instead of GDDR3 (also available in GDDR3 variants as well)

nothing else really different than that.

Still, it makes for a nice HTPC GPU and light gaming, I already have a lower end GT 220, Radeon HD 2600 Pro (both of those will fit, but too low end for light/moderate gaming for my needs), Geforce 9600 GSO (96 shader G92 version, but it runs hot and over heats thanks to no fan RPM control for it, or a defective fan controller, thank you ASUS, no wonder it was a $40 Open Box/Refurb on newegg back then
rolleyes.gif
and its too long to fit in my case), amongst some other larger cards, GTX 285, GTX 470, 2x GTX 560 Ti's, Single Slot 9800GT, 1GB Radeon 4870, 9800GTX+ (has a cap that fell off that needs to be replaced to work).

But for the price the OEM 440, $60, I figured it was a good deal, should be fairly capable, for a short single slot width card that would fit in my case.

but was hoping maybe someone else was running one and had some links or screenshots showing performance scores or whatever for the OEM 144 core versions, just to get a better idea of the framerates for roughly 720p or better resolutions. So I could a better idea of what to expect for gaming performance.

Won't be running any BF3 or anything on it, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, X3: Terran Conflict and similar level games that I can already max out on my main rig,

another plus would be Folding Performance (144 cores, maybe bump the shader core clocks up a bit if it will allow) while no where near my other cards performance, for a tiny system like that, it could add a bit extra worth while running 24/7 if I needed.

#6 ·
i could actually run skyrim on my gt 430, but only at medium settings and that was on a resolution of 1440x900 (obviously higher than 720p) so i think for th slightly less demanding games then your 440 will hand them just fine,what are the rest of the specs in your htpc?

#7 ·
Unknown yet on the CPU, but it will be a mini itx h61 or 67 board, 4gb stick DDR3 1333, lian li PC-Q07 case, ocz 500w modxstream 80gb velociraptor for now, windows 7 64bit, and maybe a 1tb HDD for storage.

May get a nice size Seagate momentus xt hybrid drive keep things down to a single drive.

Cpus I'm looking at are sandy bridge Celeron dual cores or pentium g series sandies.2.7ghz or faster.

#8 ·
Sorry, was on my phone at work, when I typed the above post, but basically for the CPU and Mobo Specs, been looking mainly at these 2 parts for now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186211

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116779

Maybe a Pentium G series if I can afford it.

I would love an Z75/77 chipset board, but since its a HTPC, and the cases small confines, best not to get wrapped up in OCing it.

II even thought about this Coolermaster case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119261

And toss in my GTX 285, which would be great, but still could get quite noticeable with Fan volume at upper RPM's.

GTX 470 is out of the question, just too darn loud.

But for now, I'm looking at that Board and CPU, with a 4GB 1333MHz Stick of DDR3, that Pareema stuff on Newegg.

I have another Mini ITX board, but its a socket 775, and only has a single PCIe x1 slot on it, with a really low end Geforce 7025/7050 GPU, and I do have a 2.4GHz Celeron Dual core for it, along with a 2GB Stick of DDR2 800Mhz, but the lack of a PCIe x16 slot is the real deal breaker on using that for a HTPC/Living room gaming PC.

#10 ·
Card finally came today, so will be installing in my extra PC in the basement to test with, still don't have the Mini ITX board and CPU to build with.

System in Basement is a Celeron E3200 2.4GHz Dual Core, 2GB DDR2 800MHz Crucial Ballistix, and a Foxconn P45 3 way Crossfire board. Windows 7 32-bit installed on it, on a 500GB WD Green Series drive.

Install of windows was a friends copy he left over at my house that I borrowed to install and test with, but never registered or activated, due to no network connection in basement.

So hopefully the non updated Win7 Install won't be too much of an issue with some of the benchmarks and utilities to be installed like 3DMark 11, Unigine Heaven 3.0, GPUz, EVGA Precision, etc.

Basically want to get an idea of how well it runs those compared to the Retail GT 440 and GTS 450, and operating temps/noise levels.

looks like the card will just barely fit in the Lian Li case as well, so at least thats a given. But seeing that SLI Tab, kind of makes me wish there was a Mini DTX board with Dual x16 slots and SLI support to run 2 of these buggers together in a HTPC gaming rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.