Overclock.net banner

RAD choice

252 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  eskamobob1 
#1 ·
hey guys,

so im planning a new build, and im having a touch choice picking my RADs... I have looked up all sorts of reviews, but am sill having a tough time choosing... i have narrowed it down to the airplex (copper + black housing), airplex (aluminum + black housing), Black Ice GTX Extreme, EK Ultimate XTX, and the XSPC RX... they all seem to have very similar performance, but i am going for low noise and high flow with good performance... the fans i will most likely use are either the low speed Cougar Vortex 120mm or AP-15s... i guess my main question is are the airplex worth the premium? they are amazing rads and i have worked with them before and i love the high flow factor, but they are also nearly $50-70 more then the others... what are your guys opinions, and experiences with these RADs?

Thank in Advance,
-esk
smile.gif

NOTE: i will be using one for of CL case or another, so space wont be much of an issue, but i will only be using push or pull (not both) on each rad (one 480 for CPU, Mobo, RAM, and one for GPUs)... also, i am well aware of the restriction of RAM and Mobo blocks... im much more concerned about the GPU loop, and i want my rads to match
smile.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskamobob1 View Post

hey guys,
so im planning a new build, and im having a touch choice picking my RADs... I have looked up all sorts of reviews, but am sill having a tough time choosing... i have narrowed it down to the airplex (copper + black housing), airplex (aluminum + black housing), Black Ice GTX Extreme, EK Ultimate XTX, and the XSPC RX... they all seem to have very similar performance, but i am going for low noise and high flow with good performance... the fans i will most likely use are either the low speed Cougar Vortex 120mm or AP-15s... i guess my main question is are the airplex worth the premium? they are amazing rads and i have worked with them before and i love the high flow factor, but they are also nearly $50-70 more then the others... what are your guys opinions, and experiences with these RADs?
Thank in Advance,
-esk
smile.gif

NOTE: i will be using one for of CL case or another, so space wont be much of an issue, but i will only be using push or pull (not both) on each rad (one 480 for CPU, Mobo, RAM, and one for GPUs)... also, i am well aware of the restriction of RAM and Mobo blocks... im much more concerned about the GPU loop, and i want my rads to match
smile.gif
If you want high flow stay away from AMS and Black Ice GT rads. They are the more restricive of the choices you listed. I'd go with a good XSPC rad. They're proven and don't cost an arm and a leg.

I'll link MML's flow test on the rads.

#3 ·
Well I'm going to suggest one not on your list. The alphacool UT60. Currently the best performing radiator out across the broadest range of fan speeds. Albeit build quality isn't quite on par with HWlabs, AMS or EK it outperrforms them all. If you have aa specific fan speed in mind check both Bundymania's and Martin's testing for those speeds.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rognin View Post

If you want high flow stay away from AMS and Black Ice GT rads. They are the more restricive of the choices you listed. I'd go with a good XSPC rad. They're proven and don't cost an arm and a leg.
I'll link MML's flow test on the rads.
lol... no idea why i couldnt find that before
tongue.gif
... and i know that the GT rads are higher FPI and lower flow (didnt think it was too much though), i saw a test with an AP-15 on it and it performed prity well... idk... so your vote goes for XSPC? i was leaning in the direction of either that or the airplex tbh... they seem like the best fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamrushpntball View Post

Well I'm going to suggest one not on your list. The alphacool UT60. Currently the best performing radiator out across the broadest range of fan speeds. Albeit build quality isn't quite on par with HWlabs, AMS or EK it outperrforms them all. If you have aa specific fan speed in mind check both Bundymania's and Martin's testing for those speeds.
I was looking at those, but i would realy prefer a better build quality... from the reviews i have seen its prity below the others i am looking at
frown.gif

EDIT: thinking of differnt rad
doh.gif
(not sure witch one though)... ill look into these
smile.gif

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskamobob1 View Post

lol... no idea why i couldnt find that before
tongue.gif
... and i know that the GT rads are higher FPI and lower flow (didnt think it was too much though), i saw a test with an AP-15 on it and it performed prity well... idk... so your vote goes for XSPC? i was leaning in the direction of either that or the airplex tbh... they seem like the best fit
I was looking at those, but i would realy prefer a better build quality... from the reviews i have seen its prity below the others i am looking at
frown.gif
Yeah, I'd save on a rad (RX360 has proven itself countless times) and invest more in pumps, reservoirs and blocks . The GTX series work good with 2k+ rpm (or really high static pressure fans). And they will make more noise due to higher fin density. If you want the Black Ice brand then maybe an SR-1? It has low FPI (good with AP-15's in push only) and aren't as restrictive are GTX's.

Unless the AMS rad is for an aesthetic reason (which is totally understandable as they are some sexy rads), I wouldn't bother with them. Too restrictive and only work good with very low rpm fans.

#6 ·
Quote:

Yeah, I'd save on a rad (RX360 has proven itself countless times) and invest more in pumps, reservoirs and blocks . The GTX series work good with 2k+ rpm (or really high static pressure fans). And they will make more noise due to higher fin density. If you want the Black Ice brand then maybe an SR-1? It has low FPI (good with AP-15's in push only) and aren't as restrictive are GTX's.
Unless the AMS rad is for an aesthetic reason (which is totally understandable as they are some sexy rads), I wouldn't bother with them. Too restrictive and only work good with very low rpm fans.
lol... i would like them because of the aesthetics, but a $50-$100 premium per rad is a bit too hard to swallow
tongue.gif

#8 ·
Yeah the UT60 has some nice features. Again, a little more expensive than the XSPC, but very very good performer all around!

MML's UT60 review

Check out the review, this is a very well build rad with lots of features. If you want to spend a couple extra bucks over the RX360 the UT60 would out do it and the SR1 for less moula.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdatmo View Post

If you don't mind higher speed fans (at least 1800 RPM) and pump running at high speed than the GTX is a really great rad. Since you worried about noise I would stay away from it as it only really shines with fans > 1500 RPM.
I'd go with the EK XTX, as it did really well in Martins lesting.
lol... it was just the review with AP-15s on it that even put it on my raydar, but i just realized that was at full speed, and unless undervolted some, AP-15s are prity loud
tongue.gif

Quote:

Yeah the UT60 has some nice features. Again, a little more expensive than the XSPC, but very very good performer all around!
MML's UT60 review
Check out the review, this is a very well build rad with lots of features. If you want to spend a couple extra bucks over the RX360 the UT60 would out do it and the SR1 for less moula.
I just saw that review, and i have to admit, it prity much sold me... ill look for some more, but for about $10 more, i dont see why not get it (seeing as i keep hardware forever)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.