Overclock.net banner

Windows 8 Poor Battery Life

8K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  compuman145 
#1 ·
I installed the update version of Windows 8 on my laptop for college. The battery life has decreased from ~~7.5 hours to about ~3.5 hours on a full charge (same brightness and applications running). Have you all heard of what might be causing this? If i cant resolve this issue i will have to revert back to windows 7 because as a college student, battery life is huge.

Thanks a lot!

#2 ·
Have you changed your power management to Balanced or power saver?? It's probably that, that's changed your battery life.

Comps

#3 ·
I am actually still in the power saver mode. I probably should have clarified that in the first post. That is what bugs me. I think it's a display driver issue but I cant seem to find an AMD driver for windows 8 that works. My laptop used to get around this much battery life when I ran an intensive application because it would switch GPUs from Intel to the dedicated AMD card. I think now its running on the AMD card constantly instead of switching back and forth.
PS thanks for the quick reply!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

All that crap running all the time on Metro is what is killing it.
This sounds quite reasonable as well, if you've set it to power saver and you're still getting 2.5 hours it could be either this or your GPU issue that you mentioned.

C

#6 ·
The processes in the Metro interface are actually very easy to stop. I don't think Metro is hogging the resources. I need to really look in to finding a driver update. I have tried updating the intel graphics as well as the AMD graphics. hopefully that will work.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukhum View Post

You're not the only one with this problem, i noticed my battery life was reduced by 20 minutes according to batterybar. I hope there's a fix for it soon, until then im back on windows 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32oz View Post

With the upgrade you may have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for them to run correctly, if you haven't already.
I'm glad im not the only one with this problem. I have tried reinstaling all the drivers using Samsung's Windows 8 upgrade kit if you will for my PC's model number. Everything is working just fine, but I am still getting poor battery life. At first I thought it was the fact that my graphics drivers have not been updated and that instead of switching between Intel and AMD graphics cards depending on the application to improve battery life, Windows 8 was using just the dedicated card. I looked in to this and in device manager it is reporting that my ATI card has a problem giving me a Code 43. Maybe this could be the cause of the sub-par battery life. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

#12 ·
Im having this issue too! My notebook is an Asus A43E(same of K43E) and my battery is poor since i upgraded to Windows 8. I updated the drivers, changed my plan to battery saving and blablablabla with no results
frown.gif

Plz, someone help!

I tried too to post my question on answer.microsoft but with no results!

#14 ·
Same experience as everyone else. I have terrible battery life on windows 8.

I am using a Samsung Series 7.

#17 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.