Overclock.net banner

Suggestions for a new CPU, PSU and Motherboard

513 views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  bronning 
#1 ·
hey! i have a pretty decent low/mid end gaming pc but im looking to improve on some places like a modular PSU, a better motherboard to OC on and a easier processor to OC on. i have about 350$ to spend and can save up more, just curious what u guys can come up with
smile.gif

Currently have a Intel I5 3550 3.3
MSI B75MA
Silver Power SP 500W(it also has Coil Whine wich is kinda starting to annoy me :/)

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
To be honest you won't really be able to upgrade all three for that amount of money. The only things that would be an improvement over what you have at the moment would be a 3570K and a good motherboard. Your PSU is fine, no need to change that.
I'd go with a 3570K and a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, that costs about $350
biggrin.gif

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

To be honest you won't really be able to upgrade all three for that amount of money. The only things that would be an improvement over what you have at the moment would be a 3570K and a good motherboard. Your PSU is fine, no need to change that.
biggrin.gif
I might just go with that
smile.gif
thanks

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronning View Post

hey! i have a pretty decent low/mid end gaming pc but im looking to improve on some places like a modular PSU, a better motherboard to OC on and a easier processor to OC on. i have about 350$ to spend and can save up more, just curious what u guys can come up with
smile.gif

Currently have a Intel I5 3550 3.3
MSI B75MA
Silver Power SP 500W
I would save up at least about $400-450 if I was you, you won't really get much benefit out of only $350 over your current hardware. This mix would be a good upgrade for you and make overclocking a breeze:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Performance ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $407.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-11 14:43 EDT-0400)

If you live near Microcenter you can get the CPU a lil cheaper and they might have a good mobo combo available. You aren't too far off from what I found so this should be a good goal for you.

#7 ·
Looked up your Silver Power PSU its made by Seasonic so at least its not something crap

No need to change it

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp View Post

I would save up at least about $400-450 if I was you, you won't really get much benefit out of only $350 over your current hardware. This mix would be a good upgrade for you and make overclocking a breeze:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Performance ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $407.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-11 14:43 EDT-0400)

If you live near Microcenter you can get the CPU a lil cheaper and they might have a good mobo combo available. You aren't too far off from what I found so this should be a good goal for you.
Looks good that to, will make an effort to save money
smile.gif
thanks for the help!

#9 ·
Quote:

smile.gif
thanks for the help!
That PSU is not much better then what you have now both are Seasonic made

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

+ The Z77 performance isn't particularly good.

#11 ·
Quote:

smile.gif
thanks for the help!
Like what others said too, you don't need to get a new PSU yet, so if you want to get a modular PSU, just get the mobo and CPU now and upgrade the PSU later.

#12 ·
Quote:

+ The Z77 performance isn't particularly good.
No but its not a Diablotek PSU either

#13 ·
Quote:

He just said he wanted to go with a modular one, so I found him a good modular one

#15 ·
Quote:

and when i think about it, the ASrock boards are not to easy to buy here in Norway :/
Didn't know you were in Norway, or even what is available there really lol, ohh well. The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H that AndyM95 suggested is a good board too.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Quote:

yup and its available in Norway, but for a much higher price lol, Norway and its high prices can be a little annoying sometimes
Think you are the only country in the world that has higher tax then Denmark

We have 25% tax here

#20 ·
Quote:

Quote:

Didn't know you were in Norway, or even what is available there really lol, ohh well. The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H that AndyM95 suggested is a good board too.
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=748567
this, the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ises really good quality VRM components. males it a great budget overcloking board
smile.gif

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerjr1 View Post

A used 2500k and a cheap p67 board should do wonder for performance.
But his current system would outperform a 2500K. I mean I know he said he wanted to overclock but why force him to have to overclock just to match his current system, nvm surpass it.

#22 ·
Quote:

But his current system would outperform a 2500K. I mean I know he said he wanted to overclock but why force him to have to overclock just to match his current system, nvm surpass it.
Why would his locked ivy bridge be better if he can surpass 4.5 GHz or something with the 2500k? Ivys are only 5-10% better per Hz anyways....

#23 ·
Quote:

Why would his locked ivy bridge be better if he can surpass 4.5 GHz or something with the 2500k? Ivys are only 5-10% better per Hz anyways....
Why get something that has to be overclocked to perform better when you can get something that is better stock and overclock past both.

#25 ·
Quote:

Because 2500ks are a lot cheaper...
True, I just don't see something as a worthwhile upgrade in my personal builds unless it gives both upgraded performance at both stock speeds and max expected OC headroom

#26 ·
Quote:

biggrin.gif
Will most likely go for this then and save up more, thanks for all help guys
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.