Overclock.net banner

Best psu for Bitfenix Prodigy case?

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  shilka 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a modular or semi modular psu to put in my new bitfenix prodigy with an i5 3570k that will be overclocked with an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, I'm going to use either a ATI 7870 or 7950 as my graphics card

What would you guys recommend, baring in mind it needs to fit into the prodigy!

Budget is 40-90 pounds (at a push, it would need to wow me for 90)

Also avoid corsair if they are still making that weird noise that they did with the past two different models i sent back a couple years ago!

wouldn't mind it being quiet too
biggrin.gif

Cheers in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say you could get the Silverstone SFX 450W Gold Rated modular PSU ... From what I can tell it should be in your budget

That is my suggestion but without knowing how much you going to OC ... that PSU may get pushed to close to its limit (37A)

I would wait for a few more suggestions though ...

#6 ·
I'm thinking of an xfx 550w core
Edition, it's not modular but I'm not sure that really matters I can probably hide the cables somewhere in the case what do you think of that psu? And will that be enough power? I've used a power usage estimation site and it came out saying I need at least 375w when overclocked so if that's right that should give me plenty of head room shouldn't it?

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0754 View Post

I'm going to go for the bequiet! cheers for finding that for me, I'm going to get it through the eBay scan as for some reason its free on there and its 10.99 for delivery on the scan website haha!
Dont buy a Be Quiet Pure Power L8 its made by HEC that sould tell you pretty much everything

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Dont buy a Be Quiet Pure Power L8 its made by HEC that sould tell you pretty much everything
I can't see than jonnyguru has ever put one of them through the ringer, but the Pure Power not that bad from what I have read and has some relatively decent reviews behind it?

I don't think it would be the worst semi modular PSU you could buy in that price bracket? Although there are certainly better options for probably £10 more alright.

I'm not arguing as such, I as a lurker I can see you know far more about PSU than most anyone
thumb.gif
, but I would certainly not intentionally recommend a poor quality component to anyone
redface.gif

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mircopolo View Post

I can't see than jonnyguru has ever put one of them through the ringer, but the Pure Power not that bad from what I have read and has some relatively decent reviews behind it?

I don't think it would be the worst semi modular PSU you could buy in that price bracket? Although there are certainly better options for probably £10 more alright.

I'm not arguing as such, I as a lurker I can see you know far more about PSU than most :thumb
smile.gif
, but I would certainly not intentionally recommend a poor quality component to anyone
redface.gif
Well i dont think the that the 530 is another unit or platform then the 730 watts which is not very good

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/PurePower_L8_730W/

The Be Quiet Pure Power L8-730W is not available in the U.S. and the lowest price we found for it in Europe's online stores was 80.47€ (excluding VAT)

Overall decent price/performance ratio (for EU price standards)
Very good ripple/noise suppression on all rails
High efficiency (for an 80 PLUS Bronze certified unit)
Fan is silent enough
Unit is equipped with all available protections including OTP (Over Temperature Protection)

In general loose voltage regulation
3.3V failed in the second Advanced Transient Response test
The unit is not rated for 50°C continuous power output but thankfully it has OTP to save it from dangerous high operating temperatures
Equipped with short cables. Also I would like to see two-three more SATA connectors and an additional EPS one
Power distribution could be better
The max combined power of the minor rails is overrated

8.1 Be Quiet decided to not use their classic OEM, FSP, for the Pure Power series and turned to HEC/Compucase instead. Although in the past all HEC units I have tested, even the higher-end ones, failed to impress me especially in the ripple suppression section, this platform exhibited outstanding low ripple. Also efficiency reached 88% with 40% load, which is without any doubt a high level for a plain Bronze unit. However this platform is still far from perfect. Voltage regulation is loose with 3.3V showing the worst performance and +12V following. On top of that the minor rails had trouble to sustain the max combined load that the manufacturer claims, but we should note here that almost no contemporary PC will ever draw 150W from the minor rails.

To sum up, I think that for EU standards, where almost all PC products are more expensive than in the US, the L8-730W has a decent price tag for what it offers. Also it's equipped with a special design fan, it's modular and has four PCIe connectors. If its voltage regulation was tighter, leading also to better results in Advanced Transient Response tests, the cables were longer and finally the model was 50°C rated then I would be very satisfied and probably give it a recommendation.

Anything on a PSU that has failed something is very good news to hear

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mircopolo View Post

Fair enough, I was just going off these, but the techpowerup 730W is a bit more critical I hadn't seen that one.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/44781-quiet-pure-power-l8-630w-psu/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/be-quiet-pure-power-l8-630w-power-supply-review/
It might not the be same platform or series the 730 and 630 are based on but i doubt they are different

If you want something cheap thats known not to be crap the XFX Core Edition series are pretty good they are modified Seasonic S12II units

But they are too big for a Prodigy right?

• Rep+
Reactions: mircopolo
#16 ·
Quote:

What would you recommend for me to get? I don't want to spend any more than 70-80 pounds at a push and it has to fit in my case remember so 160mm is the absolute max I can put in it
Silverstone SFX 450 watts gold thats a pretty small PSU

Just dont get the bronze one that one sucks

Reviews
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/SilverStone-ST45SF-G-Power-Supply-Review/1662
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=319
http://hardocp.com/article/2013/03/14/silverstone_sfx_st45sfg_450w_power_supply_review#.UcSBiZzm6Qu
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Silverstone/ST45SF-G/

#17 ·
I was originally looking at a 550w xfx core edition, that does actually fit in the prodigy apparently it's not modular which isn't the end of the world if its going to last me well, I want it to be quiet too with no coil whine(bad experience with corsair), any ideas if it fits what I'm looking for? Or is it a noisy psu?

#18 ·
Quote:

I was originally looking at a 550w xfx core edition, that does actually fit in the prodigy apparently it's not modular which isn't the end of the world if its going to last me well, I want it to be quiet too with no coil whine(bad experience with corsair), any ideas if it fits what I'm looking for? Or is it a noisy psu?
its a modified Seasonic S12II platform

#20 ·
Quote:

I might just go for a seasonic or the xfx 550w core
The XFX is a Seasonic

#22 ·
Quote:

Is one quieter than the other though? Like fan wise? The seasonic is probably better because its modular right?
That very much depens on which Seasonic you are talking about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.