Overclock.net banner

[Review] My Experience: AMD refrence GHZ bios Update

395 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Madpacket 
#1 ·
Today June 2, 2013. I realized that there was a bios update that converted my old Gigabyte 7970 Reference (Model: GV-R797D5-3GD-B).
This update apparently lowered GPU temps, fan noise... and has been available since July 2012(?).
This update is still available here
Anyways, I thought I'd show some 3DMark benchs from Thursday (before GHZ) and today (after GHZ)
These benchs are all basic edition settings unless specified
3DMark11 +8.98%
3DMark Vantage +4.4%
I will have more benchs soon thanks.
My 3DMark scores both increased (no surprise) and the fans did not rev up at all where they did slightly before the update.
I strongly recommend this update for anyone whom has not yet noticed it the link to the original post Has an all-in-one single click installer.
smile.gif

Notables
Not FM Approved error : I am running the newest Catalyst Beta 13.6
Weird Frequencies/CPU cores: I have auto voltage and all power saving features on (probably the issue)

Also, I've been incapable of finding further updates. Being one year in I was wondering if anyone knows of further updates?

See less See more
#2 ·
*Sigh*. Update the BIOS... Exactly the same as just installing any OC software and setting it to 1050Mhz core.

Plus, Ghz Edition BIOS raises stock volts to 1.256v so it makes the card run way hotter then it should and less power efficient...

Way better to just OC your card using software to set ~1.25v and go for 1200+Mhz..

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezzion View Post

*Sigh*. Update the BIOS... Exactly the same as just installing any OC software and setting it to 1050Mhz core.

Plus, Ghz Edition BIOS raises stock volts to 1.256v so it makes the card run way hotter then it should and less power efficient...

Way better to just OC your card using software to set ~1.25v and go for 1200+Mhz..
I read you required this update to have fully unlocked voltage and the voltage was actually lowered it also said it made the fans quieter which I would assume it would be relative to the voltage being slightly lower
If I ever overclocked Via bios I'd get a red screen after a few minutes of power or when I overclock via catalyst I't usually was too hot and actually ran slower

#4 ·
Th gigabyte specific version states the following:
Quote:
ATI Source BIOS Version: 015.026.000.000
Base Clock/Boost Clock : 1050/1100MHz
Memory Clock : 1500MHz
Release for HYNIX Memory
Reduce fan speed
UEFI BIOS
But random sources said the rest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.