Overclock.net banner

CPU Bottleneck?

885 views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  rdr09 
#1 ·
Hi OCN!

I just recently acquired a second ASUS GTX670 TOP Edition to SLI with my current one, and am wondering if my 1090t (OC'd to 4ghz) will choke anywhere? If so what CPU should I look at? My sig rig should be up to date on all my components
thumb.gif

EDIT: I'll be playing @ 1920x1080 a variety of games
redface.gif

See less See more
#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Most games are GPU dependent so it shouldn't be much of an issue. I always recommend a single powerful GPU over 2 in sli/crossfire.
While many might be, not all games are GPU dependent. Games like Starcraft 2, Civilizations 5, or most MMO's are heavily CPU dependent because they are attempting to create many NPC's and objects on the screen simultaneously that don't require a whole lot of VRAM or texture rendering.

That being said, your 1090T will perform just fine at a nice little overclock. The Thuban series processors are still kicking quite strong after all this time and are still powerful, especially at 4.0 or 4.1 Ghz. It might bottleneck just a bit, but nothing too noticeable.

#7 ·
I had a Theban six core and it bottlenecks my dual. 6970s so I would say from experience yes it will in some games. From my experience dual gpus need faster GHz in order to be freed up. Even a 2500k or 3570k will bottleneck two high end gpus at stock.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Most games are GPU dependent so it shouldn't be much of an issue. I always recommend a single powerful GPU over 2 in sli/crossfire.
I agree, but I got this for an unbelievable price...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorybro545 View Post

While many might be, not all games are GPU dependent. Games like Starcraft 2, Civilizations 5, or most MMO's are heavily CPU dependent because they are attempting to create many NPC's and objects on the screen simultaneously that don't require a whole lot of VRAM or texture rendering.

That being said, your 1090T will perform just fine at a nice little overclock. The Thuban series processors are still kicking quite strong after all this time and are still powerful, especially at 4.0 or 4.1 Ghz. It might bottleneck just a bit, but nothing too noticeable.
Good to know, I'll see how far I can push it
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

I had a Theban six core and it bottlenecks my dual. 6970s so I would say from experience yes it will in some games. From my experience dual gpus need faster GHz in order to be freed up. Even a 2500k or 3570k will bottleneck two high end gpus at stock.
Well OC'd to 4ghz should open that up a bit
tongue.gif

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

agreed.. when i switched from 1100t to 8350 i noticed how much i had a bottleneck.. its something you dont notice till you upgrade. You will be fine with the sli and game fine though

#10 ·
It wont be a bottleneck at 1920x1080. A single GTX670 is enough to play anything on the market right now at max settings so a 2nd one should be able to give you frames high enough that the few frames youd be missing out on will never be noticed. Now if you decide to get into multiple monitor configurations with resolutions like 5760x1080 then youll start to see that X6 choking things off a bit. But for single monitor gaming, youre fine.

Youve got a solid motherboard with that Gigabyte, why not upgrade to a 8320 and put a solid overclock on there. That would be a very nice improvement in CPU horsepower for ya.
thumb.gif

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolmain View Post

Hi OCN!

I just recently acquired a second ASUS GTX670 TOP Edition to SLI with my current one, and am wondering if my 1090t (OC'd to 4ghz) will choke anywhere? If so what CPU should I look at? My sig rig should be up to date on all my components
thumb.gif

EDIT: I'll be playing @ 1920x1080 a variety of games
redface.gif
Easy way to tell is your gpu usage. Aslong as its around 100% you're good.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrad View Post

at 30+ fPS which is the standard yes it is.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
60fps is the standard to me... I wouldnt be able to play anything at 30 fps... Speak for yourself maybe but 30fps is way to sluggish.

OP it may BN but as long as you get the fps/details you want at 1080p who cares if it BN.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank33 View Post

Quote:

at 30+ fPS which is the standard yes it is.

60fps is the standard to me... I wouldnt be able to play anything at 30 fps... Speak for yourself maybe but 30fps is way to sluggish.

OP it may BN but as long as you get the fps/details you want at 1080p who cares if it BN.
60fps is a little smoother but 30fps sluggish that's a bold statement that alot of people would disagree on including millions of console players.

#17 ·
That'll be quite the bottleneck. Heck, that CPU will technically bottleneck one 670. Play game of choice with v-sync off running MSI AB or Precision X. If your GPU usage doesn't stay above 95%, 100% of the time......CPU bottleneck.

#18 ·
Quote:

60fps is a little smoother but 30fps sluggish that's a bold statement that alot of people would disagree on including millions of console players.

Console players are turning speed limited. Using a mouse @ 30 fps is horrid. Using a gamepad on a console with their limited turning sensitivity @ 30 fps is very playable. Slow, but playable.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

agreed.. when i switched from 1100t to 8350 i noticed how much i had a bottleneck.. its something you dont notice till you upgrade. You will be fine with the sli and game fine though
i guess your 460s are much faster than my 7970. My Thuban at 4GHz had no problem with the latter when i had them paired up.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

i guess your 460s are much faster than my 7970. My Thuban at 4GHz had no problem with the latter when i had them paired up.
I am not 100% sure but the thing is that I got a boost of 5-6 FPS by just switching chips another 4 with the OC on it.. so take it as you will

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

I am not 100% sure but the thing is that I got a boost of 5-6 FPS by just switching chips another 4 with the OC on it.. so take it as you will
i always recommend the 8300 chips to some who would rather go amd and pair up mid/highend gpus. i would not even think of doing that with my thuban. i really believe that the extra cores of the 8300 helps in dual gpu setup.

the advantage of the 8300 to the thuban is that, we all know that by now, is it can oc higher. a 4GHz thuban is about the same power as a 4.3 - 4.4 8300. when the latter starts oc'ing higher . . . it is goodbye thuban. the 6300 needs about 4.7 -4.8 to match a thuban at 4GHz.

@op, even my i7 SB at 4.5 can't push a 7950 at 99% in most games. it will dip to the 80s. could be the games.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolmain View Post

I'm saving and trying to see if AMD releases any good chips, because the FX8350 has been out for a bit
rolleyes.gif
that is a very good plan. the new fx is almost here. surely your fps will be noticeably higher with 670 sli. i did not try crossfire with my thuban 'cause one lane only runs at X4 and the 7950 had a waterblock. too much work just to test.

jth here has a similar setup . . .

http://www.overclock.net/t/1371205/1090t-to-a-2600k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.