Overclock.net banner

Socket 2011 refresh coming?

562 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lroy 
#1 ·
I have decided to make my next build with the 2011 socket. I was curious if anyone or if the rumor mill knows if there is a refresh of the motherboards coming with Ivy-E?

I sold my previous main rig 2600k @ 4.8Ghz a few months ago. To my youngest brother. I was hoping Haswell would have peaked my interest more than what it has.
After doing some research I think I would be happy even with the current Sandy-E parts. I could spend less than Haswell on a mobo and cpu and most likely get an overclock that would be on par with an average Haswell overclock.

Comparing 3820 vs 4770 and the Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN2 vs G1.Sniper 5.
Just from going with the prices on newegg.com I would save about $110 on the 2011 setup. I am sure I could get parts cheaper once I shop around a bit. My current build is designed around a black and green look so these boards fit very well into my build color wise.

So, mostly the 3820 would be a placeholder for me until the Ivy-E chips come out but I think overall I would rather wait if there is going to be a newer chipset for socket 2011 coming. I am just tired of not having that speed I was accustomed to and am getting a real itchy trigger finger on parts.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.