Overclock.net banner

What am I doing wrong!!!!!!

406 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  charlie310 
#1 ·
I have just put a 955 on my 990FXA-UD3, my max OC is only 4.5Ghz at 1.7v, which is very unstable, no issue as it is just for HWBot.

But considering I could boot at 4Ghz into windows, with stock voltage, it seems very poor results.

All I have done is up the core voltage to 1.7v and change the CPU multi.

Maybe just some pointers will be good.

#3 ·
By what I can see, yes.

I thought it is strange that my 1055 can do 4.4Ghz on 1.7ish volts

#5 ·
Here I thought 1.55~1.6V was plenty high for watercooling. It was enough to kill my motherboard's VRMs back when I was using AMD.

Most 955s could only OC up to 3.8~4ghz. Only the C3 chips were able to go as high as 4ghz~4.3ghz on average. If you're trying to go past 4.5ghz, you'll need to start looking at DICE, LN2, or phase change. You're lucky to have reached that point, but that's as far as you can go unless you change to next gen or Intel.

#6 ·
So I guess I can't expect to much
mad.gif

Just sad I have seen higher validations on lower voltage. Oh well, part n parcel with overclocking I guess.

#7 ·
PhenomII chips weren't really great overclockers unless you got a lucky chip or went to sub-zero cooling.

#8 ·
1.7v is really pushing it without some serious cooling. Upping the frequency by a GHz or more I wouldn't call "poor overclocker" at all.

#9 ·
Yeh not worried as it is just for validations and benches. Only have a Rasa block, but ambient temp is only like 17 degrees Celsius ATM
biggrin.gif

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2K12 View Post

Phenom ii overclocks quite high. No problems. Even on air cooling. 4ghz+ tested a few of em.
Like I said, the C2 ones barely got to 3.8~4ghz, while the C3 chips were running at 4.0~4.3ghz. OP is trying to push them a lot higher and that's where my statement comes in. Back when I was using my 955, I could barely go up to 4.5ghz even with my Rasa block.

#12 ·
It is a C3 stepping chip, so I guess I will settle with it
redface.gif

Maybe this weekend I will get a chance to try the x2 555 out, I know it unlocks to four cores as well
thumb.gif

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_nuts View Post

redface.gif

Maybe this weekend I will get a chance to try the x2 555 out, I know it unlocks to four cores as well
thumb.gif
Good luck! My last AMD chip was a x2 555 that unlocked to a x4 B55 and overclocked pretty well on low voltages.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_nuts View Post

redface.gif

thumb.gif
Also keep in mind that your mobo may be limiting your OC. My 1090t only has 1.476 Vcore and 47 max core temp. But my mobo makes anything higher unstable. I'm guessing your temps are fine with your WC, which is why I think your mobo may be what's setting the ceiling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.