Overclock.net banner

[SatelliteToday] Intelsat and Ericsson Successfully Demonstrate Ultra-HD Transmission via Satellite

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Teamocil 
#1 ·
Quote:
Intelsat and Ericsson announced the successful demonstration of a true 4K Ultra High Definition (Ultra-HD), end-to-end video transmission over satellite to Turner Broadcasting's facilities in Atlanta, Ga. This was the first transmission of a Ultra-HD signal via satellite in North America, proving the satellite delivery chain can accommodate next-generation signals as soon as broadcasters are ready to offer them.
http://www.satellitetoday.com/st/stbriefs/Intelsat-and-Ericsson-Successfully-Demonstrate-Ultra-HD-Transmission-via-Satellite_41480.html

Mod edit: Incorrect title and post format.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

I remember a few months back, Hughesnet launched a 300 gigabit satellite. A 100mbps data stream would be a miniscule drop in the bucket as a portion of the satellite's total bandwidth.

Good to see that it can be done, the question is.... WILL it be done?
I have not been able to find out the technical specs of the satellite(s) used by Hughesnet but in all probability the 300 gigabit quoted is probably satellite / system maximum throughput rather than throughput per user!

Will it be done(?) - that depends on consumer demand, the profitability of 4K for broadcasters and I guess the success of RedRay but I certainly expect that it will be done! Given that if the consumer can buy a 2160P TV for virtually the same price as a 1080P 4K TV they will buy the higher definition (especially when there is a salesman next to them telling them that 1080P is old technology)!

Hughesnet is ok for web browsing and MMO games but definately not for FPS games (I realise you never said anything about gaming, just thought I would mention it):

Gaming
HughesNet Gen4 service plans will work with many features offered through gaming services such as Xbox LIVE® and the PlayStation Network. You will be able to download games and game updates, and use the streaming video and music services offered through your gaming system, such as Netflix® and Hulu™. However, the majority of real-time, multi-player games that people play on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation will not work over any satellite Internet service. Strategy and "turn-based" games will work but games requiring a rapid response such as "first-person shooters" will be unplayable.

Source: http://www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page=FAQ#faqs

#5 ·
You know, I really wish we'd give up this idea of 60 hertz as standard to aim for. If only it was standardized so that everything was 90hz or 96hz (24hz x 5) everyone from gamers to sports fans would no longer complain about blurring. The transition to 4K would be an idea time to set that standard but it looks like it's just too hard cost prohibitive to bump resolution and frequency at the same time.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

So its all pretty much lies that the networks cant handle 1080p channel streams and that is why we are stuck for so long with 720p TV?
Well yes, except that current service providers max is 1080i and 720P (ie. they could but are not providing 1080P currently)!

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

I remember a few months back, Hughesnet launched a 300 gigabit satellite. A 100mbps data stream would be a miniscule drop in the bucket as a portion of the satellite's total bandwidth.
i believe it was 100+ but that is spread over 60 spot beams, 300 may include uplink. I assume they have multiple spot beams operating on the same frequency but just pointed at different areas, would be interesting to see what the frequency range maximum bandwidth is.

Also when the honeymoon ends for the first two or three 4k tv channels then expect them to be compressed to the max like past SDTV and current HDTV.

Current DVR technology already allows the recording of an entire transponder (multiple HD channels), may need a faster HD or ssd to record 4k at that quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.