Overclock.net banner

Both hard drives with the same issues in the same time!

278 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  looniam 
#1 ·
Just as the title says, so i have two hard drives one is WD Caviar Black 1TB and another is WD Caviar Blue 500GB and it was all fine until i saw 1 week before in the HD Tune that WD Blue is going to show some issues but it didn't show any bad sector and it ran just fast like before so i didn't worried that much but tonight i saw the same issues in HD Tune with WD Black too and this time also i got an "freezing/screeching noise" when i started my PC exactly in the motherboard logo and it wouldn't continue so what i did i opened my case and i "re-pluged" Power Cable but also Sata cable for the "WD Black" one and then it started without "freezing/screeching" noises but still in HD Tune it shows those issues so then i tried in other SATA ports with both hard drives but still "Ultra DMC errors" are there!

NOTE: Both hard drives are running with maximum speed and have no bad sectors!

Motherboard is new i bought it 4 weeks ago and is ASRock G41M-VS3 R2.0

So please anyone tell me what exactly is causing these issues ? It has to do something with SATA Controller or Hard Drvies are failing by itself ?

You have also a screenshot for both hard drives:

WD Black: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/7mnk.png/
WD Blue: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/hfo.png/

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
from what i gather (in other words i googled!) a CRC error is what there is something wrong with the communication between your HDs controller and the SATA controller on the motherboard.

since your motherboard is new lets look at:

did you install the correct drivers for your SATA controller?
is it ok when you look in the device manager in windows? (no yellow exclamation point)
did you use different, maybe cheaper, SATA cables?

#3 ·
Ultra DMA CRC error is usually a SATA cable issue, try swapping them out and see if that number increases, if so something else is going on. Also did you install the drivers for SATA controller?

#4 ·
Answering to your questions:
1) did you install the correct drivers for your SATA controller? I'm using windows 8 with all drivers that comes with it so i didn't install any driver except for "graphics card" one
2) is it ok when you look in the device manager in windows? (no yellow exclamation point) ? In the device manager it says that both drives are working properly
3) did you use different, maybe cheaper, SATA cables? I'm using the same SATA Cables (brand is gembird) that i've used before, i also tried them with SATA Cable that it comes with "ASRock motherboard" still same!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore_7 View Post

Answering to your questions:

2) is it ok when you look in the device manager in windows? (no yellow exclamation point) ? In the device manager it says that both drives are working properly
i didn't mean the drives, sorry, i meant the SATA controllers. but you see no exclamation points then, right?

edit: even if not, i am apprehensive thinking Win 8 would have the best drivers for your motherboard . . just saying.

#7 ·
Yep i checked right now in the "Storage controllers", also says that "This device is working properly." and probably you're right maybe Windows 8 drivers aren't fully compatible with Windows 8, so what do you think it is a good idea to try it out with Windows 7 ?

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore_7 View Post

Number of errors aren't increasing, it showing the same size of numbers that it showed before !
Ultra DMA error's don't go away they either stay what they currently are or rise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

i didn't mean the drives, sorry, i meant the SATA controllers. but you see no exclamation points then, right?

edit: even if not, i am apprehensive thinking Win 8 would have the best drivers for your motherboard . . just saying.
Agreed, I would grab the Win7 INF driver from here and install it as Win 8 is just Win 7 SP2. http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=Win764&Model=G41M-VS3

#10 ·
i have no idea why an older version would be OK but the newer not. i was going to suggest switching ports but it seems you have done that already.

try the HDs in someone else's rig if you get the chance . .swap cables. sorry i only have guesses and i don't want to send you on a wild goose chase. but i really have doubts that both HD are failing at the same time . . .

• Rep+
Reactions: hardcore_7
#12 ·
SMART Error values do not reset. They will show the same from now until you trash the drive. As long as there is no increase in the #'s you are fine.

#13 ·
i think i just learned something . . .
thumb.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.