Overclock.net banner

Odd Issues with New Rig

189 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Liranan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I need some help if at all possible. I think I have my issue figured out but I would like a second opinion.

OK. I recently had my old rig die on me while attempting to install a new water cooler (accidentally bent a pin while installing, frying the board and CPU). So I decided to upgrade. I bought a new AMD FX-8320 CPU, as well as an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. I got everything installed and ready to go, and it booted fine. I ran HWMonitor to see what my temps were and my CPU temps were idling around 40C. I put it under full load and it got up to about 60C.

I had done some searching around and have found that with my water cooler (NZXT Kraken X60), that I should not be seeing anywhere near these temps. I thought it might have been either weird fan layout or a bad thermal compound application. I did a complete tear-down and rebuild, reapplying the compound and making sure to get the best airflow out of it (using a Rosewill Thor case; shouldn't have any issues with airflow). I reassembled it and am still having the same problem.

I did a bit more searching and I think I have the issue pinned down. I believe that the VRMs and MOSFETs on my motherboard are getting too hot. I found a thread on here that said that looking at core temps was a bit more accurate than CPU temps under full load, and that's when I noticed something. My core temps never went much above 40C. Since the CPU temp is what is being pulled from the socket, it might be getting influenced by the VRMs. My board does not have any sort of cooling applied to them, so that is what I am believing to be the problem.

I have attached a screenshot after running Prime95 for a good 15+ minutes to show what I am saying. Basically, I am asking if someone could take a look at this and see if that is what it looks like to them. I was wondering if there was any way to determine if this is my issue before just shelling out the extra money for a new motherboard.

A few other things I should note: After running Prime95 for a bit, I start to notice that my frequency is bobbing up and down quite a bit. I have not overclocked it yet, and disabled C'n'Q and all other energy-saving options, so it shouldn't be doing this. This is also leading me to believe that it is the VRMs. Another thing is that after running the CPU under full load for a while, I start to hear a high-pitched screeching that seems to stay until I restart. It sounds like it is coming from the VRMs, but I cannot be too sure. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like you are, indeed, relying on your socket temperature for your core readings. Your CPU seems to be doing just fine, just get some heatsinks for your VRM's and they should cool down a little.

The board you've bought is a mid range board, not really suitable for a CPU like the 8350 as evident by the screeching of your VRM's.

For actual core temp you should rely on the cores themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.