Overclock.net banner

SSD/HDD Combo Defrag?

400 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  wingclip 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I built my wife an SSD/HDD combination, AMD-based desktop recently. The SSD handles the operating system, (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit), and a few others such as Microsoft Office 2010 Pro, (there's a few more but I can't remember them at the moment).

However, I did install other programs such as, Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 Premium, OnOne Photo Suite 6, and others of that kind on the HDD.

My plan is to continue installing programs on to the HDD but my concern is; should I defrag it? I'm afraid that if I run a defrag, I'll jumble up the entire communication between the operating system and the program.

So should I defrag the HDD in this kind of set up or just leave it alone?
Thank you, Rich

#2 ·
The SSD should not be defragged, the HDD can be. I run SSD for OS and some programs and HDD for most apps and data, no issues though im Windows 8. I dont recall how TRIM works in windows 7. In win 8 its called optimizing and auto detects ssd/hdd and what to do, i dont recall if its the same in Windows 7.

There is only the potential for issues if you do a true defrag on the SSD.

#3 ·
Thank you Zero0CoolX,
But what you mean by "TRIM" in your sentence; "I dont recall how TRIM works in windows 7"? I'm not familiar with the term but it sounds like you may be referring to a software maybe?
Thanks, Rich

#4 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
Quote:
In computing, a TRIM command allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally.
They can explain it better then i can. Basically the SSD version of defrag. In windows 8 this is what i see:

This what Windows 8 defrag looks like. It can tell whats SSD and Whats not, and does optimize on SSd and standard defrag on HDD automatically. In Windows 7 i think you need to disable defrag on SSD drives if i recall, though someone who uses Win 7 with an SSD would be better able to tell you, ive been on Windows 8 since before it released.

#5 ·
Oh, I see. I think Windows 7 Pro may have something like that, (I have Home Premium 64b), but I never used the defragger from Windows, (last time I did was back when XP was a year or two old lol). Then again, I actually may have seen a similar option somewhere in the properties box of the drive in question, I'll have to check.

I use an overrated payware program called Ultimate Defrag 4 on my computer, (it has the conventional HDD setup), because it does the job very fast. It's really meant for obsessive/compulsive people:glasses-s that are into micro management of their HDD. But I set the settings to a very basic user profile that doesn't take advantage of all the 'bells & whistles' that UD 4 offers.

I was only interested in defragging the HDD because it was my understanding that SSD's don't ever need defragging.

Anyway, I'm going to try a search in Windows 7's search box for "Optimize Hard drives" or something to that effect and see what comes from it. I'll also see what other Win 7 people who are set up the same way, (OS on SSD & all others on HDD), are doing.
Thank you, Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.