Overclock.net banner

[Tech Gig] Graphene may boost internet speed 100 times

4K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  maarten12100 
#1 ·
Quote:
Ordinarily optical switches respond at rate of a few picoseconds - around a trillionth of a second. Through this study physicists have observed the response rate of an optical switch using 'few layer graphene' to be around one hundred femtoseconds - nearly a hundred times quicker than current materials.

Graphene is just one atom thick, but remarkably strong. Scientists have suggested that it would take an elephant, balanced on a pencil to break through a single sheet.
Source

#2 ·
Graphene is just one atom thick, but remarkably strong. Scientists have suggested that it would take an elephant, balanced on a pencil to break through a single sheet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zroyr-Q9f_o

I know I heard that phrase before and here it is!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane48 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zroyr-Q9f_o

I know I heard that phrase before and here it is!
if they actually tested that.....that'd be pretty impressive. Checking out that video now

#9 ·
Eagerly awaiting the day graphene starts making its way into everyday components/tools.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

That's good to know, it's just a shame no company in North America will take advantage of it
They would if they had the technology to do it. We already know what graphene is capable of, but we don't have the technological capability yet to utilize it. You might as well be lamenting that we haven't gone to Alpha Centauri yet because no one will make an antimatter-powered drive that could get us there in five years.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by un-midas touch View Post

Ya talk to me when your ping is a few picoseconds.
Time to math it up in this female dog! Let's say 100 picoseconds because I'm nice. Light travels approximately 3 * 10 ^ 8 meters in a second. A picosecond is 10 ^ -12, and 100 of them is 10 ^ -10. Unless you can travel faster than light, you'd need both ends of this theoretical network to be 3 * 10 ^ -2 meters away, or three centimeters.

But ugh. We keep seeing all of these articles about graphene. "Your phone will charge in 10 seconds!" "You laptop will be more powerful than a supercomputer!" I swear, unless this stuff starts hitting the market, all it will turn into is a sci-fi buzzword. The new nanobots, in a sense. It looks impressive, but it's too impractical for now. Fiber optic cables are probably a better way to increase bandwidth for the near future.

#13 ·
That's my point. This one already incredible fast component was apparently the bottleneck for the internet, to such a degree that improving it 100 fold will supposedly increase internet speeds 100 fold.

This simple mind doesn't need math to tell me that the theory is bogus.

But I guess the title, if taken very generally, has some possibility of being true.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by un-midas touch View Post

Ya talk to me when your ping is a few picoseconds.
Literally impossible.

It takes 3 and some change microseconds for light to travel 1 km however. Pings measured in microseconds, instead of milliseconds, could theoretically be possible.

Hell, you could reduce the latency of every ping to 1-2 ms round trip for any server within a couple hundred miles. Ping anywhere in the world in under 50ms, assuming you have fairly direct routes.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

But ugh. We keep seeing all of these articles about graphene. "Your phone will charge in 10 seconds!" "You laptop will be more powerful than a supercomputer!" I swear, unless this stuff starts hitting the market, all it will turn into is a sci-fi buzzword. The new nanobots, in a sense. It looks impressive, but it's too impractical for now. Fiber optic cables are probably a better way to increase bandwidth for the near future.
I thought it already was.

Add it to your coolant and increase it's thermal conductivity 100%! Slap it into a solar cell and get 99.99% energy conversion! Attach it to the top of your Nalgene bottle and drink from the ocean! And lets not forget the integrated circuit, and ultracapacitor applications.

Be sure to right your thesis on that graphene paper too.

/hyperbole

To be fair, I would love to see more practical ways to produce graphene. Crossing my fingers that it an aluminum may share a common history someday.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

Yes, but there is a massive difference between having the graphine supported directly under the pencil, as supposed to on the sides.
What do you mean exactly?

Also, if I were an elephant I'd be like "you can go get yourself a hammer I'm not havin' my foot stabbed when this pencil breaks."

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by votum View Post

It's been in pencils for years
tongue.gif
Graphene is not in pencils, I think you are mistaken it for Graphite. Which is carbon based, just no where near as strong. Not to mention if it was in pencils, you'd never be able to write with them. Plus the amount it would take to fill a single wooden pencil block would cost you over ten thousand dollars.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opcode View Post

Graphene is not in pencils, I think you both are mistaken it for Graphite. Which is carbon based, just no where near as strong. Not to mention if it was in pencils, you'd never be able to write with them. Plus the amount it would take to fill a single wooden pencil block would cost you over ten thousand dollars.
News flash. Graphine is a single atom thick layer of graphite. You can make it using a pencil and tape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.