Overclock.net banner

Haswell Build/Upgrade Asus Formula VI

296 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kishagi 
#1 ·
Hello, I like many others are planning on upgrading. I chose to go with the 4770k because of the good performance and low tdp because my current rig is a space heater. This is also my last year before college. I use my pc for more than just gaming, I do a lot with video rendering and encoding. Anyway, I will give you my current specs, and my proposed build specs. Let me know what you guys think.

Current:
Intel i7 930 (oc to 4ghz)
alienware area 51 mobo
corsair 1200i power supply (upgraded)
2x 1tb hdd in raid 0
corsair vengence 3x4g 1600mhz
h100 cooler
sapphire 7970 vapor-x 6g (pushing 3 monitors)
sound blaster recon3d soundcard

Build:
Intel i7 4770k
Asus VI Formula
keep power supply
single 3tb hard drive (maybe boot/game ssd? any recommended size?)
Corsair platinum 2x8g 2400mhz
h100 cooler (planning on doing a custom loop at some point)
keep sound card
keep graphics (may upgrade to volcanic islands in September)

The only problem I see as of now is the fact that my current case which I am keeping requires 4 or 5 usb 2.0 headers on mobo. Is there some kind of adapter or splitter maybe from 3.0 for this?

See less See more
#2 ·
yes there is. Im using a SYBA Infozone USB 3.0 Internal Hub. it works great, one header/port works all 4 ports which is awesome. it comes in one of those 3.5" to 5.25" adapter thingys so it will fit in either kind of bay.

EDIT: I didnt see that you were looking at an SSD. Cheapest and a good idea IMO is to get a Samsung 840 series 120GB you should be able to find them on sale sub $100.

Samsung is also comming out with the 840 EVO series so you might wanna wait for that. Also for a Gaming system, Put your OS on a 120 - 128GB SSD. 240-256GB is also good but more expensive. 90GB would be very good if there was more of a selection and a better price point.

I managed to put my windows 7 on a 60GB Vertex 3, but i had very little room left; with a 128GB ADATA I fit windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on it with a good amount of space left over.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishagi View Post

yes there is. Im using a SYBA Infozone USB 3.0 Internal Hub. it works great, one header/port works all 4 ports which is awesome. it comes in one of those 3.5" to 5.25" adapter thingys so it will fit in either kind of bay.

Thanks for your help, the only thing is I need usb 2.0 HEADERS, not ports.

#5 ·
oh my bad, i really need to slow down when i read peoples posts.
that nzxt expansion looks awesome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.