Which option would you choose?

• FX-6300 + 7970

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • i5 ivy + 7850

Votes: 6 27.3%

FX-6300 + 7970 or i5 ivy + 7850 gaming only

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Minotaurtoo 
#1 ·
Client wants a PC built and it has come down to this. Gaming on current titles such as BF3, Crysis 3 and Black Ops 2. BF4 in the future for sure. Multiplayer is the main purpose.

Gaming at 1080p 60hz.

Both come out around the same price wise. Shopping at MC for CPU+MOBO and Newegg for the GPU Roughly $450-$500

See less See more
#2 ·
Both of these options will work just fine for gaming when the Cpu's are overclocked.

The 7970 with the 6300 will smoke the Ivy setup at any resolution above 800 x 600

#3 ·
#7 ·
fx 6300 with 7970 for sure.. the gpu will be the bottleneck in the ivy setup for sure.... that 7970 will smoke the 7850 even with an old 4170fx driving it. I would recommend overclocking the cpu mildly though... .I've found that most fx cpu's can be oc'd even with undervolted... see this thread for info on that. http://www.overclock.net/t/1409067/undervolting-8350fx-without-losing-performance It was written for the 8350 fx, but the principle is the same, assuming the main board you are getting has those options.

#8 ·
#9 ·
those are good charts, but the op pointed out that a 7850 will be used with the i5 therefore crippling it... the i5 with the 7970 would likely beat out the 6300 in almost all games..but the choice is 6300 fx with 7970 or i5 with 7850... those charts do not apply then.

#11 ·
I don't understand... there are MC i5 4670k and motherboard combos for $250, why not get one of those and split the difference with a 7950? Does it have to be Ivy?

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

I don't understand... there are MC i5 4670k and motherboard combos for $250, why not get one of those and split the difference with a 7950? Does it have to be Ivy?
No it doesn't. As of a few days ago, It was cheaper to go the ivy route over Haswell. However, I just had a look on their site tonight and a few deals strike well with my friend. I'm up there tomorrow to grab a CPU-Mobo for either him or me. If it's for me, he's going to buy my current setup. It's a win win.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

How about a Ivy + 7950?
^This. There have been some fantastic deals on 7950s recently (I saw one as cheap as $180).

You can also pair that with the FX-6350 + mobo combo that Tobiman found, and you will have the entire package for almost the cost of a single 7970. However, if you decide to get a 7950, I would definitely purchase an i5-3570k combo.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRUSH View Post

No it doesn't. As of a few days ago, It was cheaper to go the ivy route over Haswell. However, I just had a look on their site tonight and a few deals strike well with my friend. I'm up there tomorrow to grab a CPU-Mobo for either him or me. If it's for me, he's going to buy my current setup. It's a win win.
Whichever CPU you go for, the 7950 is down around $200 on some models now so thats a pretty good deal.
thumb.gif

#15 ·
Went FX 6300. Looks like a 7950 will get paired with it considering its current price.

#17 ·
Quote:

Client wants a PC built and it has come down to this. Gaming on current titles such as BF3, Crysis 3 and Black Ops 2. BF4 in the future for sure. Multiplayer is the main purpose.

Gaming at 1080p 60hz.

Both come out around the same price wise. Shopping at MC for CPU+MOBO and Newegg for the GPU Roughly $450-$500
If multiplayer is the main use then you should've gone with the intel chip.

Now they are literally stuck with the 6300 for ages, an i5 7850/7950 setup is superior for the long term, and graphics cards can be replaced by a monkey when need be.

cpu's have a massive affect on gaming especially multiplayer and low frames.

#18 ·
a 6300 isn't that slow geeze.. .I've played multiplayer on old phenom cpu's that were only 2.3 ghz recently... with 6850 gpu ... and to be honest.. I couldn't tell that much difference between them and some of the big rigs I've played on as far as playability is concerned... sure they weren't playing with all the eyecandy turned up, but holy crap you don't need a buggati cpu to play BF3 and such... if you can't afford but so much... then I say pop the $$ into the gpu and get just enough cpu to match... and I believe that's what the OP did... btw.. I own intel and amd rigs... only one listed here is amd though.. just can't be bothered to list the other 4 rigs I have... besides its the only one I OC anyway.. cheap enough to blow lol.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

GPU is more important in a gaming-only rig. Go with the FX-6300 and 7970.
What's the point of getting to enjoy ultra textures when you'll hit bad low fps when **** hits the fan in a large multiplayer map?

I'd rather have a smooth experience with high textures/no AA than ultra settings and heavy cpu lag spikes.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post

What's the point of getting to enjoy ultra textures when you'll hit bad low fps when **** hits the fan in a large multiplayer map?

I'd rather have a smooth experience with high textures/no AA than ultra settings and heavy cpu lag spikes.
he makes a point you know

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

a 6300 isn't that slow geeze.. .I've played multiplayer on old phenom cpu's that were only 2.3 ghz recently... with 6850 gpu ... and to be honest.. I couldn't tell that much difference between them and some of the big rigs I've played on as far as playability is concerned... sure they weren't playing with all the eyecandy turned up, but holy crap you don't need a buggati cpu to play BF3 and such... if you can't afford but so much... then I say pop the $$ into the gpu and get just enough cpu to match... and I believe that's what the OP did... btw.. I own intel and amd rigs... only one listed here is amd though.. just can't be bothered to list the other 4 rigs I have... besides its the only one I OC anyway.. cheap enough to blow lol.
Well you had a slow processor and crap GPU.

My last rig was an AMD 1055t @3.8ghz+ and it's apile of crap compared to my i5.

I used the same card (7950) with both rigs and the difference was night and day, crossfiring on my old rig wouldn't have fixed my low fps.

GPU's can be upgraded, cpu's are kept for years.

whatever you guys want to believe, enjoy.

#22 ·
not crap... sufficient... old, as heck and still plays games great...
thumb.gif

you intel fanboys tickle me... such anger..

I like intel... but in gaming it isn't that bad to have even an amd apu like the A10... I've played on those sytems btw.. own one actually... surprisingly good graphics in a cheap chip... and the cpu part of it isn't that bad either... sure its no ivy bridge cpu performance...and no comparison to a sandy bridge e chip... but heck... it works... and uh... I don't know who you are thinking keeps cpu's for years and changes gpu's often... but most people I know keep both.

#23 ·
FX-6300 + 7970 rig will smoke the other Ivy i5 + 7850. it is not even funny.
But I suggest getting the i5 and slightly stepping down to the 7950.

#25 ·
I have actually. Right now the 6300 is at 4.0 and paired with a 7850 I had laying around. Does surprisingly well too. I haven't pulled the trigger on the 7970 yet because the 7850 is holding its own quite well. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

#26 ·
Quote:

I have actually. Right now the 6300 is at 4.0 and paired with a 7850 I had laying around. Does surprisingly well too. I haven't pulled the trigger on the 7970 yet because the 7850 is holding its own quite well. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
great, glad to hear that... was wondering how well you came out with it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.