Overclock.net banner

Core temps higher than cpu temps?

619 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jason387 
#1 ·
When I overclock my chip to 4.8Ghz at 1.42v my core temps labeled as 'package' in HW Monitor jumps up to 70c on full load while my TMPIN1 supposedly my cpu temps are only at 57c. Is this even possible that the core temps are higher than cpu temps? From what I know, it's the cpu temps which are usually 5c-7c higher than core temps.

#2 ·
Package? Mine says Temperature. Package is the power listing. Weird.

Wonder if its reading something just wrong. Have you tried Core Temp or another temp reading app to make sure its right?

#4 ·
Hmmm, that is weird. Wonder why its reading so different. Guess its the difference between the sensors in my Bulldozer and your Piledriver. Maybe thats one of the small changes they made in the architecture. Your idle temps look right though.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post

Hmmm, that is weird. Wonder why its reading so different. Guess its the difference between the sensors in my Bulldozer and your Piledriver. Maybe thats one of the small changes they made in the architecture. Your idle temps look right though.
At 4.4Ghz my temps are right but once I reach 4.8Ghz my core temps jump up on load terribly and my cpu temps are maybe 12c-15c lower than core temps. My TJ max in core temp is 80c.

#6 ·
I always see core temps that are higher than CPU temps. Either way, you should be monitoring whichever is higher. You should also be checking your temps with multiple programs until you figure out which one is reading the closest to correct temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.