Overclock.net banner

Stuttering at anything under 60 fps. Don't know how to handle this anymore.

940 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  dragosdb 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i am new to this site, and created this account for the purpose of asking the community of this site if it can help me to solve this problem out once and for all.
So the problem consists in having horrible gaming experience when gaming at anything under 60 fps(this includes 59 fps). As soon as i see the frames go down, the game suddenly stutters, and it is really frustrating. This problem seems to occur in almost every game i buy, and i am really sick of it.
I have tried turning off V-sync but that didn't do anything noticeable. Also, if the fps goes over 60, there will be alot of micro-stutter and screen-tearing. Another thing is that when i alt+tab a particular game, and then resume it, it stutters like hell till it seems to go to normal. The weird thing about this is that if i have 70 fps for example, it would go down to around 65 and that would make it stutter...if i have 60, it would go to 55, if 30 it would go to around 25 and so on. I tested this using a fps limiter like MSI Afterburner OSD. So the conlusion of this is that it is not my system not being able to maintain a specific number of frames....i don't know.
My system specifications are:
-AMD Phenom II X4 955be 3.2 ghz processor;
-AMD Raedeon HD 7870 XT Saphire edition grahphics card;
-4 GB of Ram 1333 mhz;
-GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard;
The graphics card is recently bought, thinking that it would solve my problem, but nothing. I also changed my power supply but i don't know if these problems could be related to it.I also did several clean reinstalls of the windows, and defragmented the HDD.(Windows 7 64-bit)
Another thing to mention is that i have this problem for around 2 years now, not being able to play one single game smoothly and without this sort of problems. It is driving me nuts and i really wish i could solve this with your help guys, it would definitely mean alot to me
frown.gif
. Thanks!.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's really odd. I have heard/seen this happen in a few games along the years and its usually an problem that relates to specific game engine combined with specific drivers.

I have never heard of this type of issue being this persistent. 2 years and a GPU swap and still you have problems
eh-smiley.gif

Can you give a few examples of games where you have this problem along with the current driver version you are using. I'm assuming you are running everything at stock speeds. Your card is plugged in to the top most PCI-E slot right (the blue one)?

You might give downloading RadeonPro and adjusting the flip queue a try though I would not get your hopes up.

#3 ·
Thanks so much for replying!.

Some examples of games in which this problem is really persistent are: Far cry 3, Dishonored, Skyrim , Batman arkham city, ghost recon online, and pretty much many others. I don't seem to have any kind of issues with Black ops 2 though..except the micro-stutter.

Everything on my system is running at stock speeds, I am currently using the 13.1 catalyst version..and yes, my graphics card is plugged into one of my blue PCI-E slots. If i try to plug it into my second one, it won't recognize my card at all.

Also, my HDD is making some weird noises when my PC loads stuff like saved games, opening new browsers...even a folder :/. Could it be related?

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosdb View Post

Thanks so much for replying!.

Some examples of games in which this problem is really persistent are: Far cry 3, Dishonored, Skyrim , Batman arkham city, ghost recon online, and pretty much many others. I don't seem to have any kind of issues with Black ops 2 though..except the micro-stutter.

Everything on my system is running at stock speeds, I am currently using the 13.1 catalyst version..and yes, my graphics card is plugged into one of my blue PCI-E slots. If i try to plug it into my second one, it won't recognize my card at all.

Also, my HDD is making some weird noises when my PC loads stuff like saved games, opening new browsers...even a folder :/. Could it be related?
Define "weird noises". As in not your normal read/write grinding/clicking noise that all HDD's produce? It is possible for dodgey HDD's to cause weird gaming related issues especially in open world games that use a lot of texture streaming.

What normal read/write sounds like

What a HDD should not sound like

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosdb View Post

The hdd defintely sounds very similar with the sounds presented in the first video( The sounds categorized as normal). I just assumed they were weird because they weren't occuring before...or at least not as loud as now...
Well its probably fine but you could always run some diagnostics on it just in case. Out of curiosity, hows your ram usage when you game and what size of page file do you have?

#7 ·
I just checked with HwiNFO64 and it shows that it is using an average of only 54% of the total 4 GB...which i is pretty odd i guess? When its idling and doing nothing its using about 40%. I never saw it reaching 100% or anything close to that. And about the size of page file...how do i check that out?

#8 ·
Are you uninstalling the gpu drivers all the way before you install the new one's? Also have you tried the new 13.8 drivers? I believe they started to fix the single card frame time issue in the newer 13.5 or 13.6 beta drivers. Go here and try this and install the new 13.8 driver and see if you still have problems.

http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards

edit" It could be a hdd failing also. I know i had problems with a game stuttering when my hdd started to go bad on me

edit 2: I don't know if you did, but did you install all the M/B drivers like the chipset driver and so on? Having a problem like this for this amount of time, I would think it would be m/b, cpu, ram or the hdd that is causing this. Have you tried Oc'ing the cpu? Tring to think. Also have you tried a different set of ram? Just might be incompatable. Just thinking.

#9 ·
I will test the drivers as soon as possible, and inform you if anything has changed, though i doubt it. I haven't tryed any different set of ram. Everything is 4 years old except my graphics card and power supply which are very recently bought:(. Thanks for posting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.