Overclock.net banner

Opinions on Q701, DT880, etc. I can't get to decide one.

2K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  djriful 
#1 ·
Sales in Canada, I'll post these screenshots due I know some of you won't be able to see them.

I am leaning more toward AKG one since I am wearing glasses with wide frames (I have a big head) so yeah. I heard the Custom One Pro is tight as my HDJ-2000 (it gets discomfort over a long period of time wearing it.) Which is why I am looking for something better.

I added Custom One Pro because of the price but I think comfort is my priority. So then I am looking at the AKG Q701 seem to fit more for big head like me.

See less See more
#4 ·
I own both and I have to say I like the Q701's a little more. They just sound more musical.

#6 ·
I got them regular price, so there wasn't any price difference for me. I much prefer the signature colours for a product; ie: A Kawasaki Ninja should be green, KTM should be orange, Honda should be red, Yamaha should be blue, some Lian-Li's should be red
rolleyes.gif

PS
There's a little mod that brings a little more bass: It's completely reversible and non-intrusive. It's simply adding a tiny bit of microfiber cloth (the kind that comes with everything these days) behind one of the foam dampers.

#7 ·
Q701s are great, however, I recommend getting an AMP so they can sound their best.

Currently I have an Objective 2 by JDS Labps that does a fine job and costs about 150 (get the power brick when you order one). Another fine choice is the Schiit Magni. Cost about 100 but it is made here in the USA.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyworks View Post

I got them regular price, so there wasn't any price difference for me. I much prefer the signature colours for a product; ie: A Kawasaki Ninja should be green, KTM should be orange, Honda should be red, Yamaha should be blue, some Lian-Li's should be red
rolleyes.gif
Lucky dog! I would have definitely gone for the green color scheme over the somewhat dull black version if it hadn't been for the price. I just dropped 600 bucks on my credit card so it's going to take me a couple paychecks to get that down!

God I am an impulsive shopper. Oh well.

Just got the q701's and paired them with the ZXR. Can't wait for my little bundle of audio goodness to arrive!

Was the ZXR a good choice for sound card? From all reviews I have read it seems like it's pretty much top of the line on the market right now.

No matter what it will be a solid upgrade from my onboard realtek 898 and ad700's.

#9 ·
Sorry to say, but in the audiophile business the ZXR is average. a Titanium HD would have been better, if you wanted a card. I have an ODAC/O2 for music & it's so much better than my Titanium HD, even when amped with the O2.

#11 ·
Quote:

Sorry to say, but in the audiophile business the ZXR is average. a Titanium HD would have been better, if you wanted a card. I have an ODAC/O2 for music & it's so much better than my Titanium HD, even when amped with the O2.
Hmm you think? From reviews I read the ZXR looked to be a good buy, a little pricey though. From what I have read really I should just be going external.. I can always call in and have the order canceled. From the reviews I saw the titanium was not as good. Could be wrong though, limited research on the matter.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by immakulate View Post

Hmm you think? From reviews I read the ZXR looked to be a good buy, a little pricey though. From what I have read really I should just be going external.. I can always call in and have the order canceled. From the reviews I saw the titanium was not as good. Could be wrong though, limited research on the matter.
It's all up to the personal tastes. It's like finding an office chair. Sound Blaster Z series do fine for me, better than my Xonar DX 7.1 (outdated software even using UniXonar with limited capability what I want to do).

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by djriful View Post

It's all up to the personal tastes. It's like finding an office chair. Sound Blaster Z series do fine for me, better than my Xonar DX 7.1 (outdated software even using UniXonar with limited capability what I want to do).
Yeah that's true to a certain degree. I mean from the reviews it looks like creative really did things right with the new Z series of audio PCI-E cards. I have never actually used creative solutions before so I guess I may as well check it out. From all the reviews I have seen it appears to be a very respectable discrete audio card, perhaps a bit overpriced though.

I can't wait to match it with those AKG Q701's. I don't know how much better they will be for gaming(if any) than my ad700's but we'll see.

EDIT: By the way DJ me and you may have just got lucky because those Q701's are now considered sold out. I got my order in just in time!!

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure the Titanium HD is still superior to the newer Creative gimmicks for sound quality.. Maybe not for gaming.
I think the newer ones addressed the dying-after-1-year issue; Mine is 2 years old now.

#15 ·
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Titanium HD is still superior to the newer Creative gimmicks for sound quality.. Maybe not for gaming.
I think the newer ones addressed the dying-after-1-year issue; Mine is 2 years old now.
Haha. Hopefully, I have seen people complaining their cards stopped working but it seems to be a heating/ventilation issue. I have good flow in my case(HAFX) and a good pci-e X1 location that should keep it plenty cool. As far as the build quality it seems to be quite high end, and it better be for $250 CAD.

I don't know, it's probably not the best solution I possibly could have went for but I'm sure it will suit my needs just fine, if not be over-kill.

#16 ·
Most likely from what I know it has to do with the PCI-E slot for the SB Z cards. I had mine on the PCI-E x16 slot and the card indeed giving out problem until I put it back at the PCI-E x1 slot. Every issues are gone.

The issue was losing control on my SB Z card. The software can no longer able to adjust anything including volumes which I think what people saying stop working.

ps. Yeah, it is sold out. We're the lucky ones.

#17 ·
Quote:

I say that unless you really want to use the creative software in games, that the OP would have been better off with a schiit magni and modi.

#18 ·
A quick glance at the top of my sig shows what I have and questions could have been asked
thumb.gif

#19 ·
Quote:

I could not agree with you more.

#20 ·
I trust you've heard both? I had a ZxR and sold it, in favour of my Ti HD.

#21 ·
I have a X-Fi Champion which is the same thing (this is the newer version). ODAC is MUCH better.

#22 ·
Nevermind lol I misread what you had said in the first place
thumb.gif

ODAC is amazing
smile.gif

#23 ·
Quote:

Nevermind lol I misread what you had said in the first place
thumb.gif

ODAC is amazing
smile.gif
You bet it is. For something the size of a card holder, it doesn't mess around. EVERYTHING sounds more awesome now. Bass to treble.

#25 ·
Yeah, they are pretty big. I also had to add foam to the head band because it was hurting my head. After that, I have not had a single issue with them.
thumb.gif

If you want, while you are away at work or something, grab white noise and loop it at just below the volume that is uncomfortable to listen to. This will break them in faster. Generally, about 300 hours is what is required to have these fully broken in. Mine are close to around 1000 hours now
smile.gif

Once they are broken in, you will notice that the tones will be more accurate, treble will be much less thinny, and the bass will be fuller with more body (for what little there is). The entire sound stage becomes much more rounded and filled out as well.

BTW, do you have an amp? It is recommended to have one with these headphones.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Yeah, they are pretty big. I also had to add foam to the head band because it was hurting my head. After that, I have not had a single issue with them.
thumb.gif

If you want, while you are away at work or something, grab white noise and loop it at just below the volume that is uncomfortable to listen to. This will break them in faster. Generally, about 300 hours is what is required to have these fully broken in. Mine are close to around 1000 hours now
smile.gif

Once they are broken in, you will notice that the tones will be more accurate, treble will be much less thinny, and the bass will be fuller with more body (for what little there is). The entire sound stage becomes much more rounded and filled out as well.

BTW, do you have an amp? It is recommended to have one with these headphones.
My soundcard has an 600amps or you're talking about actual Amplifier...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.