Overclock.net banner

Can I power a EVGA GTX 690 with my XFX Pro 850 PSU?

568 views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Artistar 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm considering making q BIG upgrade from my present GTX 6600 SLI setup. So I'm thinking (and it's hurting sooooooooooooo much, the pain is going to be even worse in my wallet) about upgrading to a GTX 690 from my beginners 660 SLI. Can a XFX Pro 850 power this easily?

#3 ·
Do you have it already or do you plan to buy?

#4 ·
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) : 300W
And that's from Nvidia official site.Just 50W more than a 780 .From the wall,4770k + 2x780's is pulling around 620W=~580W if good efficiency.Just get a good 650W and you'll be set with a headroom even.
Seasonic G-650 Gold
Corsair HX650 Gold
Rosewill Capstone 650-M Gold
CM V700 - Gold --> fully modular,the above are semi-modular.
Just pick one,they'll all suffice your needs.
EDIT: If you already have the XFX 850W,don't worry,it'll be MORE than enough.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1997 View Post

Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) : 300W
And that's from Nvidia official site.Just 50W more than a 780 .From the wall,4770k + 2x780's is pulling around 620W=~580W if good efficiency.Just get a good 650W and you'll be set with a headroom even.
Seasonic G-650 Gold
Corsair HX650 Gold
Rosewill Capstone 650-M Gold
CM V700 - Gold --> fully modular,the above are semi-modular.
Just pick one,they'll all suffice your needs.
EDIT: If you already have the XFX 850W,don't worry,it'll be MORE than enough.
Thank you for that.
thumb.gif

#8 ·
#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistar View Post

Got it already fella!
its a Seasonic KM3

The XFX you looked at was a Seasonic S12II

#11 ·
Quote:

Sorry, now you've lost me?
The Cooler Master and XFX units are not made by them

• Rep+
Reactions: xCloudyHorizon
#12 ·
Quote:

Sorry, now you've lost me?
He was telling you who made them and what design/platform it is based off of internally.

The Cooler Master V850 is made by Seasonic and is based on their KM3 platform (like the Seasonic X 850 KM3).

While the XFX Pro 850w could be a few things... If it's the Pro Series Black Edition (the gold fully modular unit), it also a KM3 design but with a lower quality fan. Both are quality high-end units; however the Cooler Master is better price.

If it's the non-modular and modular bronze units 650w+ are also made by Seasonic and is based on the S12II SS-***AT and M12II SS-***AM units.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwan456 View Post

He was telling you who made them and what design/platform it is based off of internally.

The Cooler Master V850 is made by Seasonic and is based on their KM3 platform (like the Seasonic X 850 KM3).

While the XFX Pro 850w could be a few things... If it's the Pro Series Black Edition (the gold fully modular unit), it also a KM3 design but with a lower quality fan. Both are quality high-end units; however the Cooler Master is better price.

If it's the non-modular and modular bronze units 650w+ are also made by Seasonic and is based on the S12II SS-***AT and M12II SS-***AM units.
Thanks for outlining that for me. It's a Pro 850W Bronze. Part modular, with the cables included to add to the PSU as required, as well as having 'fixed' cables.

#14 ·
#16 ·
Almost every PSU you can buy is not made by the brand that sells it but by a OEM

Finding out just what OEM and platform is used is the most important information you need

Becasue if you dont look out even major brands has something not very good or outright trash

#18 ·
Well they all seem to like the PSU, so I guess I'm happy. Also I'm having second thoughts about the 690. Unless I can obtain it for a VERY good price, I think I'll just wait for the other Nvidia GPU's to come out later this year and see how that affects the price of the 780. I think even though it only three gig and has two thouand-three hundred cores, it's the technological advances that I think appeal more......

Edit:

I have bought a Zotac GTX 780 (reference version).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.