Overclock.net banner

Help me pick a laptop?

355 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  willll162904 
#1 ·
Hey guys! So my main rig is my sig rig and its my all purpose desktop. Mainly for gaming but obviously being in HS i use it for some occasional school work and essays as typing for me is 8 bajillion times faster (and neater) than hand writing so i do all my papers on it. Also my birthday is coming up and i have some money saved up and as im not at the spot where i want to upgrade anything on my main rig, maybe a lappy would be in order. ATM im using my moms old work laptop we sorta share if either of us travel and i use it for typing as windows got corrupted on my gamer so i had to re install windows and lost the install.

Firstly, it's slow. Like painfully slow as it's had many years on it and i cant even think of the model Dell it is. Also it's definately been through alot. It's got many many years of traveling under it's belt and though still usable, it's about done. The screen part where it folds is duct taped on the left corner and makes a cracking old sound when you open it. The screen hinges are lose and wobble alot too. Overall it's in bad shape. I am not knowledeable on lappys what-so-ever so im asking here. this is my criteria:

not a mac
light gaming (no need for maxed out crysis but id like to be able to play counter strike or COD or maybe bf3. None of these have to be anywhere near maxed but just playable so a decent nvidia gpu)
Pretty good processor (quad core with a turbo boost of over 3 ghz atleast)
hopefully under $1600 bucks at most 2K
webcam doesnt matter i have many
backlit
looks good and sleek preferably black
not razer ;p
atleast 13 inch screen
good battery life
decent temps but i have a usb lappy cooler
portably small (ie can fit in a backpack well)
not a mac

If i think of more i'll add. Like i said im clueless but the only ones that come to mind are Razer which is a no no as its mad expensive and OP, some asus ones that looked good and well priced, and i made a custom origin pc one here - http://www.originpc.com/cart/?task=view

These things break my heart as a custom desktop can be hundreds less and miles more powerful. So any helps would rock!

See less See more
#2 ·
Will

You're gunna have to make some compromise somewhere... It can't really be GPU powerful and small and sleek and good on battery. I get the feeling that gaming is not the most important thing you will use the laptop for, so you should focus on a good CPU and good aesthetics (Asus Zenbook comes to mind).

But, you have a nice budget there and can get something really powerful... maybe you should have a browse of this site to see if anything fits what you would like:

http://www.xoticpc.com/

Now you're like a kid in a candy store....
biggrin.gif

#4 ·
Was thinking more like this:

The optimus technology means that battery life can be increased when not using high GPU processing...
Certainly isn't too small and sleek tho...

Aim for an SSD also - makes all the difference
thumb.gif

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha216 View Post

Will

You're gunna have to make some compromise somewhere... It can't really be GPU powerful and small and sleek and good on battery. I get the feeling that gaming is not the most important thing you will use the laptop for, so you should focus on a good CPU and good aesthetics (Asus Zenbook comes to mind).

But, you have a nice budget there and can get something really powerful... maybe you should have a browse of this site to see if anything fits what you would like:

http://www.xoticpc.com/

Now you're like a kid in a candy store....
biggrin.gif
why did you link me that... oh god so much wants
biggrin.gif
How does this thing look to you? http://www.xoticpc.com/shopping_cart_show.php?wconfigure=yes wish i could customize alittle more. Really i would like a pretty good i7, and a 660 or 670. 770 at the most. What gpu do you think i should go with? I defs want an i7 for multitasking and also i may just maybe use this for some vid rendering or 3d crap. never know id rather be safe than sorry. wouldnt a 670 be fine? Also the least want on my list is probably small and sleek. If it can be carried comfortably im good. no need for this paper thin crappy thing
wink.gif
. Im a gpu nut but battery life is high on the list :/

#6 ·
Will... sorry for ruining your day
rolleyes.gif

Your shopping cart links aren't working - we do not have your cookies stored on our machines
biggrin.gif

I would personally get i7 4th gen
At least 660/760 (with optimus will save some battery)
An SSD HDD as big as you can afford

#7 ·
Quote:

Will... sorry for ruining your day
rolleyes.gif

Your shopping cart links aren't working - we do not have your cookies stored on our machines
biggrin.gif

I would personally get i7 4th gen
At least 660/760 (with optimus will save some battery)
An SSD HDD as big as you can afford
alrite thanks!! do you suggest an hdd with an msata ssd cache thing or a seperate 120 gb ssd and whatever size hdd?

#8 ·
No worries... I think the mSata is worse performance than regular SSD... but don't quote me on that. I would get 256GB SSD if you can. Plus an extra 750GB+ 7200 HDD.

#9 ·
When I see "2+ hours" of battery life, I physically cringe. OP, why do you want a laptop for gaming when you have your sig rig? I'm curious because I could never understand paying for a gaming laptop when the experience on your desktop will be superior...?

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoneCapone View Post

When I see "2+ hours" of battery life, I physically cringe. OP, why do you want a laptop for gaming when you have your sig rig? I'm curious because I could never understand paying for a gaming laptop when the experience on your desktop will be superior...?
i travel often. simply that. usually 6 hour or more flights and gaming during that would rock. nothing crazy but playable for easy running games to have fun with plus a mobile pc i can do school work on all i need is word and thats enough. powerpoint and crap i can use school computers.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by willll162904 View Post

i travel often. simply that. usually 6 hour or more flights and gaming during that would rock. nothing crazy but playable for easy running games to have fun with plus a mobile pc i can do school work on all i need is word and thats enough. powerpoint and crap i can use school computers.
Definitely a valid reason and if you find a laptop that meets your needs, good for you!

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by willll162904 View Post

Let us know what you decide to get
biggrin.gif

#13 ·
Did you choose a laptop yet?

#14 ·
Quote:

Did you choose a laptop yet?
no it will probably be in a while if at all. just wanted to get some insight and do some research so when i have the funds i dont waste time
wink.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.