Overclock.net banner

2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 failed

375 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Wildcard36qs 
#1 ·
I bought 2 F3 1TB drives back in 2011 for a cheap small business server. I had them configured in a RAID 1 and little over a week ago, I see that the RAID is degraded because 1 of the drives failed. I replaced the drive and the RAID was fine for about a week before the other drive gives up the ghost. I know these are reputable drives, but perhaps I just got a bad batch? Or is 2 years about the expected run time for 24/7 usage? I am just glad that I bought 2 new drives in the event that the other one would go out.

I plugged a bad drive in another computer and windows wont initialize it because of CRC errors.

#4 ·
Hmm drives are still under warranty. I'll get a replacement at least.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by larymoencurly View Post

What's the lowest common denominator? Some power surges don't result in damage right away.
That very well could be it. The client this was at had a crappy UPS that I also replaced when I replaced the drives. I know the server has had abrupt shutdowns in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.