Overclock.net banner

M5A99fx R2.0

3K views 38 replies 6 participants last post by  Terrere 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm a not soo long member of ocn and been lurking for a while. Has you can see in my sig my rig need an update soon. I'm thinking that for upgrading to meaby a fx-6300 soon or meaby a fx-4350. But I'm still unsure wich mobo to go wich. I would like to keep in a blue theme. I've had my eye on the M5A99fx for a while now but I'd figure I'd ask the mobo experts what they think. Is it a mobo you would recommend. Or what other would you recommend in a similar price range. I want a mobo that can handle decent oc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Oh and btw I'm in Canadia

Sent by me

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingmac View Post

awesome , thanks a lot for the tips . 6300 it is then loll
I have that board and my FX 8350 is running 4.6GHz stable on an h80i and stays nice and cool. The VRMs are heatsinked, so that means you don't have to worry about your stock chip setting your board on fire!

It's a great board, definitely worth getting. The next step up from the M5A99FX Pro would be the Sabertooth in ASUS's offerings. You could always get similar Gigabyte boards.

The main difference between those boards are the power phasings. Gigabyte's higher end boards have true 8+2 power phasing whereas the ASUS boards have the 6+2+2 Digi+ Power phasings. You don't want anything under a 6+2 power phasing for overclocks as it may cause instability and other various issues.

Either way, can't go wrong with the M5A99FX Pro Rev. 2.0 board.

#7 ·
Quote:

ah ok so the m5a99fx isn't a true 8+2 . its good to know im looking for something that will last and reliable with overclocks . for the same price I can get the GA-990FXA-UD3 with a 8+2 .should I go with the gigabyte. last thing I want is to blow a mosfet because of ocs and temps
Quote:

or would you recommend an paying an extra 15$ for GA-990FXA-UD5
If you're looking for a really good overclock, the Sabertooth is the ASUS to look at. The M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is for moderate overclocks, not extreme overclocks. The 6+2+2 DIGI+ is the a full Digital phasing VRM which makes it equal to the 8+2 non-digital VRMs. It's basically the same VRM that's in the Crosshair-V, just a few less phases. The reason why the M5A99FX Pro isn't great for extreme overclocks is the design of the board is not made to stand up to the higher overclocks like the top tier boards. I don't feel that you will blow a MOSFET on this board very easily and my temp are always reasonable.

Same thing with the UD5 board. Gigabyte makes really good boards (as does ASUS) and the similarly priced boards are going to perform similarly. It all comes down to personal preference. I chose ASUS because I've never had an issue with them, but I also leaned heavily to the ASRock Extreme 4 and the Gigabyte UD3/5 for the similar features and quality.

You can hedge and fret about this choice all day long, but I suggest picking up a Sabertooth or Gigabyte UD5/UD7 (don't know which one is actually the Sabertooth equivalent) and be absolutely ecstatic at the end of the day if you're worried about overclocking issues. It's powerful and the ceramic coating looks nice. If that's a bit out of what you want to spend, you will be happy with either the UD5 of the M5A99FX in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, the UD3's have been known to have issues. I think the Rev. 4 versions have this fixed, but it's definitely something to watch for.

#8 ·
Not going to tell you which MOBO to get but, when you do pick one,
look for a bundle for MOBO/CPU combo deal.. I saved $100 buying it as a bundle package Fx 8350 / M5A99FX Pro R2.0
still waiting to save up for the OS... hope to have it up and running next week.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmikatt View Post

Not going to tell you which MOBO to get but, when you do pick one,
look for a bundle for MOBO/CPU combo deal.. I saved $100 buying it as a bundle package Fx 8350 / M5A99FX Pro R2.0
still waiting to save up for the OS... hope to have it up and running next week.
^This. If you can find a good deal on a chip and motherboard then that would be great. You can see some combo deals from Newegg in PCPartpicker.com.

#11 ·
Quote:

ah ok so the m5a99fx isn't a true 8+2 . its good to know im looking for something that will last and reliable with overclocks . for the same price I can get the GA-990FXA-UD3 with a 8+2 .should I go with the gigabyte. last thing I want is to blow a mosfet because of ocs and temps
Go with the Asus..(IF you just have to have blue)
Giga's not too good for AMD...
M4a89GTD-PRO FTW! If I had to have a blue AMD board..That would be it.It IS a true 8+2 monster board.

I think it'll run the newer chips, too.

#13 ·
Ah good the 4.7 ghz cpu with turbo to 5.0...

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M5A99FX%20PRO%20R2.0&cpu=FX-9590(FD9590FHW8KHK,%204.7GHz,%208C,%20L3:8M,%20220W,rev.C0,AM3+)&pcb=ALL&sincebios=1903&memo=Due%20to%20the%20high%20TDP,%20please%20be%20noted%20there%20are%20limitations%20while%20using%20this%20CPU(i.e.%20special%20thermal%20required..)

Uh did not work but the 9590 cpu is supported
biggrin.gif

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonami2 View Post

Just get the Asus m5a99fx... It an fx 6300 not an 8350 so power consumption is lower... Uh cmon guy he can get the 250$ asus board too....
tongue.gif

Just seen one with 1.488 volt at 5.06 ghz an fx 8350 on this board....
thumb.gif

And 2 first he need water cooling to get to 5 ghz...
devil.gif
doh.gif
I forgot we were dealing with an FX 6300 instead of an 83x0 chip. Sorry about that. Yeah, the M5A99FX Pro 2.0 will work really well for you. It handles my 4.6GHz 8350 easily, so it should handle your FX 6300. Sorry, I lost focus on the threads I was in!

• Rep+
Reactions: bonami2
#16 ·
The UD5 and M5A99FX are both good looking boards.
thumb.gif
Just go with what fits you, I suppose XD

#21 ·
Quote:

All my fan port are 4 pin but my fan are 3 pin
smile.gif
idk what you mean picture with my new psu and case from today just finished and repluggued it
What he means is that there are only 3 or 4 fan ports on the Gigabyte versus 5 or 6 on the ASUS.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrere View Post

[quote name="bonami2" url="/t/1437335/m5a99fx-r2-0/0_30#post_21111597"]All my fan port are 4 pin but my fan are 3 pin :) idk what you mean picture with my new psu and case from today just finished and repluggued it
What[/URL] he means is that there are only 3 or 4 fan ports on the Gigabyte versus 5 or 6 on the ASUS.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I don't have a fan controller and don't plan on getting some anytime soon. So m5a99fx wins
smile.gif
)

Sent by me

#24 ·
I'm super fed up with the m5a99x board. I doubt it will be an issue with the 6300 but the VRM throttling is just pissing me off. I have cold air (20-40F) blowing directly on the VRMs and I still get throttling even when the socket temperatures are below 60F.

I'm also having some very weird USB issues, still trying to figure out if it is board related, device related, or OS.

#25 ·
Cool and quiet it can be that people run it at 5.0ghz on the m5a99fx pro the evo is the same if i remember with water cooling the vrm dont get any cooling

You have some option for power too idk if it for that but 100% 110% 120%

8350 clocked at 5.0ghz is rated 220w tdp..

( The motherboard is certified for it

Did not take time to overclock more than 4.0 ghz at 1.3volt my coolermaster n520 is not enough and anyways making noise...

#26 ·
Quote:

Cool and quiet it can be that people run it at 5.0ghz on the m5a99fx pro the evo is the same if i remember with water cooling the vrm dont get any cooling

8350 clocked at 5.0ghz is rated 220w tdp..

( The motherboard is certified for it
I have all throttling settings disabled. I've been trying to find someone who is actually running 5ghz without throttling and so far I haven't seen any proof of someone on this board at 5ghz that doesn't have throttling during stress tests.

Yah, like I said though the VRM has PLENTY of cooling. I have a side fan bringing in super cold air, and a 120mm fan mounted to grab that cool air and throw it directly over the VRMs and out the top of the case. You can barely even tell these heatsinks are warm when I touch them yet its throttling and there is absolutely no other explanation at this point.

Point being for the OP. If you ever think you'll want to slap something in that board that requires more power and overclock, go with a better a better board
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.