Overclock.net banner

New build - first time Intel

1K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  fido 
#1 ·
It's getting to be that time again, thinking about making myself a new build to replace my current one. Been researching a bit and have decided I will be going Intel for this one. I originally was planning on going nVidia as well, but the new Radeon R9's look very interesting. I will be keeping some of the current components, but it will mostly be a new build. Also thinking about water cooling my cpu.

My goals: Keep this for as long as possible with easy upgrade paths if needed in the future.

Uses: Needs to be a good all rounder, but also play modern games well at 1920x1080.

Budget: Around the £1000 mark which is around 1500-1600 USD. Willing to push it up a little bit more to cover case, HDD's etc.

What do you all think of the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k

Cooler: Corsair H75

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H (i will need a PCI slot for my wireless adapter)

Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 2400MHz CL11

GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCUII (also willing to go nVidia - please suggest)

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX (keeping the current one) though I mostly use my Mbox 2 Mini which connects via USB.

PSU: Corsair HX620 (planning on keeping) If I should swap please let me know.

Case: Undecided but hoping for something similar to that of the CM 690 II Advanced or similar.

Display: Asus VW247H (going to reuse current display)

Optical Drive: Keeping my current Samsung SH-S223Q (may upgrade to a bluray drive later)

Storage:
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: Planning on reusing my Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for games and secondary programs.
HDD: Planning planning on having a fast 2TB drive for data - like a WD Black 2TB.

Mouse and keyboard not needed as I will reuse my current Logitech G400 and Microsoft Sidewinder X4.

Any ideas and feedback will be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
Build looks good to me, but to save on some cash or get the most out of your money I would do a few things. If you get a decently large case like you are saying (the CM 690 II Advanced). I would bump up the cooler to a NZXT Kraken X40 or a Corsair H90. Will provide lower temps, but isn't costing that much more money than the H75.

There's really no difference between the UD3H and UD4H besides price. So I would just go down to a UD3H.

GPU is fine, going nVidia in the $300 price range isn't really viable. Only GTX 770 worth the money is the 4GB EVGA Classified, but they haven't price dropped all that much. If they were only $400 then it would be worth it because they will overclock to the moon. Not sure how many 280x's are voltage locked. Might have to look into that yourself.

Lastly drop down the 840 Pro to an 840 Evo. Doubt you will see a speed difference.

If you are looking at cases, have you seen the Corsair Carbide Air 540?

OS, definitely Windows 7.

#5 ·
That sounds good to me!

In terms of overclocking, how good is the UD3H/4770k combo?

On another note, any cases fans and controllers that are recommended? I have the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme controller (silver) at the moment, but looking to get a black controller.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floy View Post

In terms of overclocking, how good is the UD3H/4770k combo?
Pretty great, 8 true phases of 40A IR3553, the motherboard won't be the bottleneck here.
Quote:

On another note, any cases fans and controllers that are recommended? I have the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme controller (silver) at the moment, but looking to get a black controller.
For case fans, Gelid Silent 12 or Silent 14. For heatsink, Cougar Vortex or Thermalright TY-14x or Gelid Silent 14. Corsair SP's are good also for heatsinks.

#8 ·
Quote:

How do the Gelid's compare to Gentle Typhoons? I've heard good things about them.
Almost as good, the only thing with GT's is that they're pricy, I don't think that the difference is significant esp. for case fans purposes.

Speaking strictly about the bearings, the Gelids use FDBs which are supposed to be superior (a bit quieter & longer lasting). GTs make it up for their great aerodynamical design. Plus they perform greatly too with heatsinks.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article690-page2.html

Overall Gelids are my best pick for case fans.

There's a good thread on fans here too:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1321074/tator-tots-big-quiet-120mm-140mm-fan-round-up/2220_20
Testing results never got published but it's a great place for discussing fans, Tator Tot also gives his recommendations (as for fans, he's the one to ask!) if you look back a bit on the thread.

#16 ·
Quote:

Any recommendations on a cooler? I was looking at the Corsair H75/H80i but the H75 is not out yet and the H80i seems to be out of stock. Any alternatives?
Why not a good air cooler?

AIO liquid coolers are not silent you still get pump and fan noise

With an air cooler you just get fan noise

#18 ·
Quote:

I am keeping my options open so I will look at air cooling as well.
smile.gif
Noctua NH-U12S and NH-U14S are good coolers

If you dont mind the colors lol

There is also the Phanteks TC-14PE and the TC-12DX

Last there is the Thermalright Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 and the Silver Arrow SB-E

• Rep+
Reactions: Floy
#20 ·
In the end, I decided to go for the H110 for the cooler. It was on a very, very special price with only one unit left in stock at that price, so couldn't really pass it up! Getting the 500R as well, so the H110 should fit quite snuggly into the case.

All items that need to be purchased have now been purchased apart from the video card. The rest will be reused from my current system. Thank you very much to all of you for your help - I've been out of the component world for some time so it was very good to catch up again!

#21 ·
Quote:

In the end, I decided to go for the H110 for the cooler. It was on a very, very special price with only one unit left in stock at that price, so couldn't really pass it up! Getting the 500R as well, so the H110 should fit quite snuggly into the case.

All items that need to be purchased have now been purchased apart from the video card. The rest will be reused from my current system. Thank you very much to all of you for your help - I've been out of the component world for some time so it was very good to catch up again!
Does your case have room for the H110 its a 280mm radiator not a 240mm radiator

#23 ·
Quote:

Yep, dual 140mm. Corsair Carbide 500R.
No problem then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.