Overclock.net banner

Good buy 16gb 2133 cas 10 for haswell?

275 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JackNaylorPE 
#1 ·
Hey, I was looking at memory sticks and came across this that looked like a really great price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226430 $130 for 16gb 2x8 at 2133 cas 10. They are rated at 1.575 volts so also within the range spec'ed for Haswell. Can anyone recommend this? Questions would be if there would be any difficulty in getting it to actual run at these settings, and if they would actually generate a considerable increase in heat considering I plan on ITX? I was originally planning on just getting 1600 cas 9 1.35v or 1.5v.

All of the Mobos I have considered accept this speed, yet none of them show anything by Mushkin on their supported lists.

Here's the rest of my build on pcpartpicker http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ZtZG

I will use this for a wide variety of purposes; gaming, 3d rendering, drafting, image editing, music recording/editing.

#2 ·
I was shocked when I rec'd a response from a user in another forum and they said after I recommended them that he was getting Gskill cause didn't wanna go with a "no name " brand. I use Mushkin memory on over 95% of my builds going back to the mid 90s..... "back in the day" they were considered "the Porsche of memory suppliers" and my mindset has not varied from that position. I remember when GSkill came along with their low low prices they were considered the "Walmart Brand". I have had an issue with just one Mushkin stick in the last 19 years.

Looking at current prices, there's been no real bump in price until ya pass 2400...so thatz where most of my builds have been going lately. I used the Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks in my current WC build and on air cooled builds I use the low profile version. Have had no issues ever getting a Mushkin stick to run at rated speeds. I use them for CAD boxes which of course after a hard days work, we fire up a few games before calling it a day.

That's a great price ya found there with the discount code.... though there's a CAS 9 redline version of those sticks for $159...prices are dropping again it seems as availability has improved..... 3 weeks ago you couldn't buy a Mushkin stick above 1833 anywhere.

So in short, that's a great deal for some great memory and in the rare instance I have had an issue, Mushkin is a fine outfit to work with. I have never had a compatibility issue ever with a Muskin stick in any MoBo and just the one that didn't pass memtest.

#4 ·
Yeah, I've always thought that Mushkin was a good brand and so have the people I know, but I was just curious that out of 5 mobo MFRs, only 1 had 2 really low speed/size sticks listed. They don't do all of the advertising that Corsair and Gskill do however.

It seems all of the MFRs had some sort of sale the last 2 weeks, so hopefully ram prices going to normalize. I'm unfortunately in that category where I wasn't even thinking of building back in Jan when prices were rock bottom.
This pair seems like an unbeatable price for the specs, I just hate to buy so close to black friday and see something else be discounted.

#5 ·
Mushkin hand tests every stick and I think they don't advertise because they still living of rep from the 90s. Ya don't see many ads fro Porsche either. In my course of trying to land a pair back in October I called factory and wound up speaking to a very helpful senior management individual who was very helpful and managed to land me a pair from one the their suppliers whose web site said "Out of Stock". In the course of numerous e-mail exchanges, I suggested that there's whole new generation of kids building PCs now who were in kindergarten in the 90s and all they see is Corsair / Gskill. I can't complain about Corsair ..... tho they tend to switch chip supplies w/o telling anyone ..... I had a nice reference to tell which versions were Hynix and which weren't but I seemed to have misplaced the bookmark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.