#1 ·
CPU: AMD FX 6100 6-Core CPU 3.30 GHz
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz RAM
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda
ODD: Samsung DVDRW
GFX: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 650Ti OC Edition 2GB
PSU: Aywun 500W

all I want to do is upgrade cpu because it bottle necking my system. im looking at going for ether a i5 or i7. but iv been told I need a new mother bourd. can you suggest one.

#2 ·
If your motherboard is r1.3 or later you can get some VRM cooling sinks and drop in an 8350 About as fast as the i5 for less money and no MoBo replacement.

As for intel, my understanding of 1150 (which may be wrong) is they all overclock more or less equally well. Just get one with the features you want on it on sale.

#4 ·
I have never heard of Aywun before?

Sound like a no name brand

#9 ·
My i3 2100 dual core was bottlenecking my GTX 660. My buddies Quad core 955 runs the same GTX 660 just fine. I find it hard to believe your system is being bottlenecked. One thing I did notice previously was a simple BIOS update added a noticeable boost in performance for my video card. How recent are your BIOS?

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

We can debate the merits of replacing a motherboard vs not and the cost of Intel vs AMD all day long, but I would be shocked if it wasn't the 650 bottlenecking your system. What are you trying to do that makes you think the CPU is the problem?
it;s easy to check. Just run something with graphics urned way down, and graphics turned way up, and compare the processor and GPU levels. If the thing is CPU bound, the fps at low and high graphics levels will be similar, while the GPU will max out at high details, whereas the processor will max out at low detail while the GPU is at partial load.

If it's GPU bound the opposite will be true. It's possible the system is simply fairly well balanced, and if he wants to upgrade he'll have to swap out both, or get a different GPU and another 650 Likely it will be GPU bound on some games and CPU bound on others.

#13 ·
yeah basically i want to build a rig that will play planet side 2 40 50fps on ultra. and i heard best way do that is with a intel i5

And i think people are doing that with i5 intel. and with ge force 650ti, so all i really need to do is swap my gear onto a new motherboard and im ready to go

#14 ·
yeah, planetside 2 is supposed to be all CPU, and almost all single thread for that matter. You need the fastest 2 or 4 core you can find, and OC the snot out of it.

the intels do more FLOPS than the AMDs so it's the fastest chip you;re going to get. 4670k for you. The intel boards are much more casual about overclocking than the AMD stuff. Just get one with the features you want for the best deal you can.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts4 View Post

My i3 2100 dual core was bottlenecking my GTX 660. My buddies Quad core 955 runs the same GTX 660 just fine. I find it hard to believe your system is being bottlenecked. One thing I did notice previously was a simple BIOS update added a noticeable boost in performance for my video card. How recent are your BIOS?
I did not quote his message/ he suggested looking at the bios which i think is the operating system

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHYS4190 View Post

i don't know all i upgrade is graphics drivers and of course windows updates
Go into your bios and see what bios version it is, then go to the manufacturer website for your board and check what bios is available to download, if it is newer download and flash the bios. Be careful to do it correctly though.

#19 ·
ahhh, Ok, that makes sense. Might be worth finding out which version of your board you have too while you're at it. If you got a 1.3 or 1.4 the possibility of an 8350 comes back into play. Won;t be quite as fast as the 4670k, but darn close and a lot cheaper an upgrade if you already have the board. Plus while the 8 cores won't help with planetside, they will help with other things. The new consoles are all 8 core and a year or two from now it could really matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.