Overclock.net banner

Whats with all these game service clients (Steam, Uplay and Origin)

990 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Bitemarks and bloodstains 
#1 ·
This is really frustrating; I don't want many game clients just to play games. The problem is I want my games in the same client; a house style.

E.g. I have Batman, Euro truck, Assetto Corsa, etc on steam, Assassins and Splinter On Uplay and BF4, bf3, SimCity on origin.

This is getting out of hand, next we will have Activision client etc,

#2 ·
Everything but the EA games you listed are on Steam. Generally speaking you can use Steam for everything but EA games, but I agree that having all of these gets a little bit annoying. Nothing can be done about it though.

#3 ·
It was my understanding steam was still installing the other clients though.

#6 ·
If GOG.com has a game on sale grab it from there and not Steam or any of the others

No DRM no fees no bull.... of any kind

You can even download the installer so if your internet goes down or you forgot your password you can still play the games you have bought

http://www.gog.com/

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultisym View Post

It was my understanding steam was still installing the other clients though.
Origin is a competitor to Steam so nope. I never used Uplay though, maybe it's like GFWL and even Ubisoft games on Steam require Uplay?

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Origin is a competitor to Steam so nope. I never used Uplay though, maybe it's like GFWL and even Ubisoft games on Steam require Uplay?
Yes, if you buy a Ubisoft game on Steam it still runs through Uplay but you get all the benefits of Steam. Uplay is very light compared to Origin or GFWL.
The only issue it has is that it's prone to wiping saves since Ubisoft is obsessed with the cloud crap.

It's not really an issue for me.

As for OP, you should just buy all your games on Steam, and if you need to own an EA game, you're gonna have to buy it from Origin.

I'm forced to use Origin only because I'm a massive fan of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. They're among my favorite games ever and unfortunately they're published by EA so they have become exclusive to Origin. Otherwise just buy your games for Steam. Steam is more than just a client now anyway, it's a whole gaming platform with a ton of benefits.

#9 ·
I love Steam- especially the sales.
I used to refuse to install Origin on my computer but I had BF bought for me and finally caved and installed it, I only use it for BF so I don't mind it so much.
I hate uPlay or what ever it's called. I got FC3 on Steam, load up the game via Steam which launches uPlay to start FC3
wth.gif

Love GOG.com.

#10 ·
I have uplay for farcry3, and its pretty simple and smooth. and I have origin for a lot of other games, but original only installed it for BF3.

I like the idea of having one place where all my games can be started. And even being able to buy new and download them from the same place. However, I don't like being forced to open these apps and log in, just to be able to play the single-player/offline game. I click the BF3 icon, and that loads Origin, and then a browser, and takes me to a page where I can see whats going on in social-media land, then I have to click some more to get to the game, where I continue to be trolled 20yr old high-schoolers whose life depends on 64-1 K/D ratio.

Besides, there isn't just one place for all games when each company has their own client. I'd rather make a folder on my desktop and save my system resources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.