Overclock.net banner

[PCCG] New MSI Gaming Laptop to Feature GTX 860M

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Awsan 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Considering how the GTX 860M is a 50w GPU that performs within 10-15% of a 7850, I think that's considered WIN.

The 880M is the gimmick though. Steer clear of it. For that matter, the Vram is a gimmick too. 4GB on a GPU that doesn't even feature 100GB/s bandwidth? Are you kidding me?

I mean, I'm the laptop guy on OCN...even I think that's ridiculous. Anything over 2GB for 1080p is insane. Marketing ploy much?

As for the laptop, not a bad choice of components really. Looked it up the other day myself. I personally want to snag one of the G750 machines from Asus, once they refresh the GPUs of course.

#3 ·
If you're the laptop guy, then you should know about the Dynaudio built-in speakers on MSI gaming laptops
wink.gif

- Yours, former OCN Audio guy
tongue.gif

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

If you're the laptop guy, then you should know about the Dynaudio built-in speakers on MSI gaming laptops
wink.gif

tongue.gif
While they are good, I still preferred the Harmon/Kardon speakers out of the last Toshiba Qosmio I had. For a laptop, they had great bass. Then again, that was around four years ago, so that's a thing... >.>

Heh, but ja, speakers are the last thing I look at when buying a laptop. It's a nice addition but ultimately I'll be using a headset or external speakers instead.
tongue.gif

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Considering how the GTX 860M is a 50w GPU that performs within 10-15% of a 7850, I think that's considered WIN.

The 880M is the gimmick though. Steer clear of it. For that matter, the Vram is a gimmick too. 4GB on a GPU that doesn't even feature 100GB/s bandwidth? Are you kidding me?

I mean, I'm the laptop guy on OCN...even I think that's ridiculous. Anything over 2GB for 1080p is insane. Marketing ploy much?

As for the laptop, not a bad choice of components really. Looked it up the other day myself. I personally want to snag one of the G750 machines from Asus, once they refresh the GPUs of course.
Would it be cheaper to give the GPU 2GB instead of 4gb?

#9 ·
Beware of the battery life on this laptop. I own a MH17GP (pretty much a custom built clone of the GE70) and the most I ever get with just an i7 4700MQ, 8GBs of RAM, 750GB WD Blue, Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300 is about 3 hours at 100% charge. Doing anything, even just browsing, gives you only about two hours. Based on that, this will only get at the most, 1.5 hours since it will consume twice the power.

Yes, I do cycle my battery and I bought this just a couple months ago.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terreos View Post

I don't think I've ever seen a gaming grade laptop that had good battery life. I honestly thought that was par for the course.
Just thought I'd let people know. The average person would look for about two hours of gaming on a laptop. This will maybe get 45 minutes.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

Just thought I'd let people know. The average person would look for about two hours of gaming on a laptop. This will maybe get 45 minutes.
Unless you use the Intel graphics card for your battery gaming session...
The 4600 on my i7 4700mq is quite good. Can run most of my games, just gotta lower the settings just a bit...
Some games I don't even select the 765m for it, its just not needed.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

Unless you use the Intel graphics card for your battery gaming session...
The 4600 on my i7 4700mq is quite good. Can run most of my games, just gotta lower the settings just a bit...
Some games I don't even select the 765m for it, its just not needed.
I had the option to get a 740M, but I wasnt gonn put another $150 into it and I run 1080p so that doesnt help much either. I can run Skyrim at 40-50FPS at 1366x768p at lowest settings except landscape at medium.
tongue.gif
I overclocked it to 1450MHz stable and it does pretty well at 1080p.

EDIT: Most of the time I play on battery so it doesnt always use it fully.

#14 ·
first time ive ever seen pc price gouge as a scorce hahah

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

wink.gif

tongue.gif
PFFFFFFFFFT i have a 5.1 speakers system in my Np8180 that is simply epic for a laptop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.