Overclock.net banner

Should i get another 580 or get a 770?

306 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  philhalo66 
#1 ·
Hi lately i have been considering getting another GTX 580 and a bigger PSU and going for SLI but most of my friends are telling me to go for a single 770 4gb. But here is the problem i can't find any benchmarks comparing the 2 setups. With that said what would be better for me?
I am building a new system in about a week so i wont be running it on my old outdated stuff i plan to run it with
AMD FX 6300
8GB G.Skill 2133MHz
ASRock fatal1ty Killer 990FX (or an ASUS sabertooth 990FX i haven't decided yet)
Seasonic 850W 80PLUS Gold
1080P monitor still working on this one

The games i mostly play are Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Source games lol i know

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wiced View Post

What is your current system? What is your total budget? Are you buying locally or online?
my budget is around $400 and i plan to buy on newegg.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

A 770 is considerably faster than a 580. Anandtech.com compares these two cards in a few different games - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/767?vs=829

EDIT: I'd get a single 770.
wow i didn't realize just how big the gap is.

So i decided to go for the 770 4GB but here is the million dollar question what brand?

#5 ·
A 770 4gb is pointless.. It will run out of grunt power before it uses up 4gb of vram. I would honestly buy a used gtx 680.... 770 is a rebranded 680.

Orrrrrrr

Save up some money and grab this one MSI http://www.overclock.net/t/1415839/evga-gtx-780-msi-gtx-780-diamond-ref-7970-gtx-680s-evga-gtx-280s-evga-pny-gt-210-his-5450-evga-9500gt

That power supply will run dual cards easily.

Another thing is I would not run dual high end cards on a piledriver 6300... That makes no sense and you will not full enjoy the video cards. One is fine though.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesoblanco View Post

A 770 4gb is pointless.. It will run out of grunt power before it uses up 4gb of vram. I would honestly buy a used gtx 680.... 770 is a rebranded 680.

Orrrrrrr

Save up some money and grab this one MSI http://www.overclock.net/t/1415839/evga-gtx-780-msi-gtx-780-diamond-ref-7970-gtx-680s-evga-gtx-280s-evga-pny-gt-210-his-5450-evga-9500gt

That power supply will run dual cards easily.
Sorry i don't buy used especially off of here. I don't know about that my friend has a titan and hes using 5GB of video memory in skyrim with alot of texture mods which i plan on doing

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

Sorry i don't buy used especially off of here. I don't know about that my friend has a titan and hes using 5GB of video memory in skyrim with alot of texture mods which i plan on doing
What resolution is he playiing? It could also be VRAM allocation. THe game may not even truly use it all. Why don't you buy used? Just curious. You save on tax and shipping.

#9 ·
Quote:

What resolution is he playiing? It could also be VRAM allocation. THe game may not even truly use it all. Why don't you buy used? Just curious. You save on tax and shipping.
He plays at 2560x1440 I'm not sure about allocation but i know on my 1.5gb 580 i keep getting video memory related crashes with a modest armor texture mod at 1080. I don't buy used because i want a warranty and i don't trust people on here after being scammed more than twice.

#10 ·
I understand it leaves a bad taste in your mouth after a crappy transaction. All I can say is if they have a lot of trade rep and you use paypal. You will always get your money back in case of fraud. I just call my bank and I get the money back same day. Lol it is so easy. Then a gtx 780 is what you want. 3gb and the 384 bit will run beautifully at 1080p. You should rethink and grab a used 780 from Nanoscale. He has 147 100 percent rep. I can assure you he wont screw u over and ruin everything he has worked for. Plus MSI offers the warranty either way because it is serial based.

Plus you save a lot on shipping and tax. Tax is a killer and adds up quickly haha.

#11 ·
Quote:

I understand it leaves a bad taste in your mouth after a crappy transaction. All I can say is if they have a lot of trade rep and you use paypal. You will always get your money back in case of fraud. I just call my bank and I get the money back same day. Lol it is so easy. Then a gtx 780 is what you want. 3gb and the 384 bit will run beautifully at 1080p. You should rethink and grab a used 780 from Nanoscale. He has 147 100 percent rep. I can assure you he wont screw u over and ruin everything he has worked for. Plus MSI offers the warranty either way because it is serial based.

Plus you save a lot on shipping and tax. Tax is a killer and adds up quickly haha.
Hmm I'll consider it for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.