Overclock.net banner

Windows Server Router Problems

112 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Liranan 
#1 ·
In an earlier thread I asked which version of Server would be most suitable as router and after no replies I realised that there is no difference between either 2008 or 2012 so I've installed 2008 but will upgrade it to 2012 because why not?

This is What I would like my network to look like:

My awe inspiring paint skills at work.

The router is a cheap 16 USD TP-Link WiFi router and as only two phones are connected to it it serves its purpose fine.

I have followed several guides such as:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-server-2008/Using-Windows-Server-NAT-Router.html

http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1343-enable-lan-routing-windows-2008-r2/

I have even followed a few guides on Youtube but I have encountered a problem I can't overcome. I have connected the laptop to the server for the moment to test the LAN routing but while the laptop can obtain its IP from the connection to the server it can't access the internet. It also sees my PC on the network but it can't access it or access the folders I am sharing, nor can my PC access the shared folders on the laptop, despite being able to see the laptop. I don't have this problem when everything is connected to the switch, which is what most websites recommend or they recommend using Windows server as a sort of hardware firewall.

The reason I don't want everything connected to the switch is that the switch is simply awful. It's supposed to be gigabit but I have a video of it copying at 10MBps, which is 100Mbps. I don't expect it to reach the fully advertised gigabit speed due to it being a cheap thing. So I'd like to use Windows Server as media server and router.

Can anyone give me a guide as to how I enable routing and use the server as a media server? Thank you very much.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.