Overclock.net banner

Dual Monitor setup for Gaming and video editing

531 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  billbartuska 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Newbie here.. Gotta couple questions. Main one being about monitors, so posting here.. Hope that's ok, instead of posting different threads... Ok, so I am more of an admin, and don't game nor do video editing, so I am not sure what to get here, as usually cheap monitors work just fine for me.

I am trying to price a custom rig for my brother. He wants to be able to game (CS, Overwatch, etc), and edit videos. From what I am seeing, it would be best to get an IPS (for video editing) and TN monitor (for gaming). So I want to know, should I get 1 of each? One thing I want to try have happen is the frames mind of match up (like how 2 same model screens would, I know chance of lining up perfect or slim to none) as it will be on a monitor mount. I want to keep monitor cost under $500 (preferably 400) for both. Is G-Sync really worth worrying about?

Also, for specs below, is it really worth getting the 1080 over the 1070? Should I spend the extra $50 on the MB..

The specs I have for the rig so far are.....

• Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case
  • Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard OR Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (32GB Total)
  • Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX Video Card OR EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX Video Card
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro, stream and record in 1080p60, superior low latency technology, H.264 hardware encoding, PCIe
  • VIVO Dual LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand Heavy Duty Fully Adjustable fits 2 /Two Screens upto 27" (STAND-V002)
  • Win 10 Pro

Thanks for your guys help. Appreciate any input.

**edit - looking for 24" screens.. Would be nice to have the video editing screen to be 4K

See less See more
#2 ·
1.) After many years of using quite a few different multi monitor setups (2, 3, 4) the monitors should be the same models and run at the same resolution.

Not doing so, and switching windows back and forth between monitors, cause a condition similar to eating to much cold ice cream to fast - brain freeze pain.

As for an i7-7700K, kind of overkill for gaming and underkill for video editing.
Few games will use all 4 cores, and video editing (especially rendering) will benefit greatly from 8 cores (12, more so).

We all want the car that has 600 horse power and gets 40 miles per gallon.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.