Overclock.net banner

New to AMD - Need advice on RAM and X370 Mobo

311 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gadfly 
#1 ·
Hello OC Community,

Over the years, I've always received great advice from the OC community and now I seek it again!

For the longest time (probably the last 15 years) I have only used Intel CPUs. My PC I built back in 2012 is starting to die, so I am due for an upgrade and want to try the AMD.

I just purchased the Ryzen 7 1800X, Asrock Fatal1ty X370 K4, and the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR 4 3200 RAM kit. However, while comparing mobos at Microcenter and reading reviews online, I somehow missed that this Mobo only supports up to DDR 4 2667!

Is there an update for the Asrock Fatal1ty X370 K4 to support DDR 4 3200 or do I need to purchase a new mobo? If I need to purchase a new mobo, which one to you recommend for DDR 4 3200?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I just checked and it says "supports DDR4 2933+ (OC)".

There is hope here that the "+" means it can do more. A big Bios update that will be dealing with RAM issues is coming out in May for all RyZen mobos. Maybe that will improve your situation. Keep an eye out for it.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyp View Post

Hello OC Community,

Over the years, I've always received great advice from the OC community and now I seek it again!

For the longest time (probably the last 15 years) I have only used Intel CPUs. My PC I built back in 2012 is starting to die, so I am due for an upgrade and want to try the AMD.

I just purchased the Ryzen 7 1800X, Asrock Fatal1ty X370 K4, and the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR 4 3200 RAM kit. However, while comparing mobos at Microcenter and reading reviews online, I somehow missed that this Mobo only supports up to DDR 4 2667!

Is there an update for the Asrock Fatal1ty X370 K4 to support DDR 4 3200 or do I need to purchase a new mobo? If I need to purchase a new mobo, which one to you recommend for DDR 4 3200?

Thanks in advance!
Return it, get a ROG CH6 if you want to overclock / run fast memory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.