Overclock.net banner

Resolution Options

597 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  thestef 
#1 ·
With the latest drivers for my 7900gs i only have the resolutions options between 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 and 1280x1024 on windows xp, also the aspect ration is locked when i am playing cs:s so i cant change it to 9:1 or 10:1. But like a week ago i formatted to vista, downloaded the drivers, and i had more resolution options and i was allowed to change my aspect ratio in source. Well now im back to xp and i dont have the same res options as i did on vista. My monitor is a Acer al1916 and i updated its drivers as well and still no luck. Anyone know how to fix this besides going back to vista?

#3 ·
Is this the 1916ws or the plain 1916? If its the ws, like mine, then you should be getting widescreen resolutions also. Other than that I would have to assume that the source engine isn't fully compatible with that monitor, for some strange reason.

Bite the bullet and go back to Vista, and enjoy freshness with your crisp monitor

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edstrung
View Post

Is this the 1916ws or the plain 1916? If its the ws, like mine, then you should be getting widescreen resolutions also. Other than that I would have to assume that the source engine isn't fully compatible with that monitor, for some strange reason.

Bite the bullet and go back to Vista, and enjoy freshness with your crisp monitor

Exactly..Is your moniotor the widescreen or not, not then your max res is 1280x1024.

#5 ·
Its not the widescreen version, but i dont see why i would be able to have those res options with vista but not xp? if your asking why i want widescreen res when i dont have a widescreen montior...it is because i am a cs:s movie making guy and recording in widescreen makes cs:s look more like a movie. And im not so sure what my chipset is

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by organika
View Post

Its not the widescreen version, but i dont see why i would be able to have those res options with vista but not xp? if your asking why i want widescreen res when i dont have a widescreen montior...it is because i am a cs:s movie making guy and recording in widescreen makes cs:s look more like a movie.

Can you force a custom res in the C/P?
Powerstrip is a great app for creating custom resolutions, not wise though forcing an LCD to run at a higher res then its native.

#9 ·
im not looking to go higher than 1280x1024, but when i was on vitsa i played source on 1280x960 and i dont have that res option now on xp. Im also trying to get it to where i can change the aspect ratio, which i could be down with vista. Right now in power strip, it says the monitor can do 1600x1200

#11 ·
Native resolutions on most 19" LCDs is 1280x1024. Don't bother going higher because the only thing you will get out of it is a dead monitor. If Vista gave you the option to go higher, then I say it was a Vista bug (Vista does tend to do weird things with hardware afterall).

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by organika
View Post

im not looking to go higher than 1280x1024, but when i was on vitsa i played source on 1280x960 and i dont have that res option now on xp. Im also trying to get it to where i can change the aspect ratio, which i could be down with vista. Right now in power strip, it says the monitor can do 1600x1200

Oh no don't do 1600x1200, force the res you want 1280x960.
That is a res your monitor can support.

#15 ·
i have tried running launch option but it keeps reverting back to 1280 by 1024

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

Oh no don't do 1600x1200, force the res you want 1280x960.
That is a res your monitor can support.

I created the .INF file, im just stuck on how to get it to work now

#16 ·
This reply might be to late... but I had a similar problem in the past, I only had 2 or 3 different resolution options in Windows XP.

It turned out that I my monitor driver was not installed. It was set as "Default" monitor. As soon as I installed "Plug and play monitor, all the different resolution optoins became available.

If your monitor driver is set as Acer... try installing the Plug and Play monitor driver instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.