Overclock.net banner

DVD Drive Clicking Noise

18K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  luckyluke304 
#1 ·
My dad's DVD drive is making clicking noises. He has the same DVD drive in my rig. I installed Crysis on his computer and noticed the drive made a clicking noise. This is the first time either me or my dad have noticed this problem. It only makes the noise when it firsts accesses the DVD and when the computer boots up. I have not tried it with other DVDs/CDs but the Crysis DVD is fine in my Comp.

Is the Drive dieing? he just got it in June.

#6 ·
This is happening to me as well. I searched teh intarwebs, using various parameters and found only this site.

I am glad to see others have the same issue, if only because it means there is hope for a fix of some sort.

I registered here to lend my assitance in the search.

I can't imagine that it is related to anything hardware, other than the DVD roms in particular that we are using. I say this because it even occurs at boot, before windows is loaded and before the drive has actually had a chance to communicate anything of value to the rest of the system.

The game installs fine on my roommates computer.

We are both using DVD-writers which would lead most to believe that because it works on one, and not on another the simple fact that they are write-capable as opposed to read-only drives could not be the problem.

However, the warning on games that chose to include one, (of which Crysis is not kin to)states "This game contains software which may interfere with the normal operation of some DVD/CD-ROM devices".

"Some"

I would put money on this being the issue.

My drive is a "lite-on LH-20A1L".

Other Specs:

AMD AM2 6000
2x7600 GTs
Abit 123,45,6789,10 eleven twel-el-el-el-elve mobo (lol cant rem model, falling asleep)
1.5 GBs of some placeholder RAM (tested)
The DVD drive, as mentioned
X-Fi
um...g15, g5, mx rev
a nice monitor...

Yeah...it's the copy protection.

The only remedies I can think of are, us buying read only drives or them allowing us a digital copy of the game. That would satisfy me, but what of those of us with 56k?

Hope I can lend some help to this discussion. Not too keen on buying a DVD-ROM drive simply for Crysis. If I had ever had the problem before, meaning I had even -1- OTHER game with which I had this problem, then maybe.

At this point I am beginning to agree with the anti-copy protection crowd.
"The legit consumer gets shafted again!" (As they would say.)

#7 ·
I see that everyone having this issue is either using a Samsung or Lite-On DVD writer and alot of them (perhaps all, can't rem for sure as I just woke up) are SATA.

I have updated firmware as well. Though I hear others have had great success in doing so..I am not so lucky.

Maybe this will help.

Also, for those who have not been stubborn enough to not give up, it seems many that experience the clicking noise still get the game to install once it has been left in the drive for several minutes.

Even stranger is that many are reporting that the clicking noise only occurs when the disc is being read prior to the installation of the game.

#9 ·
Well...yes. For some, I have seen reports of it not working at all though. Seems to work ok for me, just took much longer to read than others had reported.

Still, working or not...this noise is not normal and sounds potentially "drive breaking".

I'd like answers. No other CD nor DVD has ever made such a sound though I remember users claiming some other games were doing the same. All included some form of copy protection and I am sure it is the cause...I just want to know what they "symptom" actually is..."clicking noise" won't cut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.