Overclock.net banner

Please help with my build (I can handle the truth)

295 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Dools76 
#1 ·
First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone.
I joined about 2 months ago, but alas, have only been reading posts up to now. Reason I am posting is I need a little help with the core pieces of a computer I am building. I have been reading a lot and from what I have gathered, this should be a descent build. Big thing I am looking for is if anything seems off and if there is a better suggested item to replace it. I am not looking for the best, just for a well complimented system.

Here are parts I already have:
Case: Cosmos 1000
PS: Ultra X3 1000W
Optic Drive: Samsung SH-S203N
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Platinum Fatality
HDD: WD 500G (For Media Storage) Maxtor 160G (For backup)

Here is the rest of the computer I am planning on getting:
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad-Core
MB: EVGA 780i
RAM: G.SKILL 4G(2x2G) DDR2 1000
VIDEO: EVGA GTS 512 (G92)
HDD: Raptor X 150 (2 in Raid 0 for OS and Applications)

I plan on using the Samsung 24 inch monitor with the system. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry if this was the wrong section to post in.

See less See more
#2 ·
To be honest it looks like a nice build. You obviously got money so if the sky is the limit for you, get another GTS and SLI that *****!

#4 ·
Hi nice build you have there it seems like you want to go Sli with your 1000w PSU and the 780i but to me Sli was never worth it. You pay double the money for a bit of extra performance and lots of bugs. You should get a X38 board and just step up with your GTS. Hwne you decide to buy your second GTS maybe a new 9 series card will have come out that is chaper and has better performance than the GTS.

Also im not sure why you need DDR2 1000 RAM, you could just get DDR2 800 and Overclock them to those speeds.

The raptors also seem a bit overkill but yea whatever. Also you missed out the CPU cooler and don't tell me you're not going to OC that Quad. The Thermalright ultra 120 extreme (TRUE) or the Tuniq Tower 120 will both take care of that Quad up to around 3.4Ghz. Also watercooling seems to be able to fit in your budget, ever thought of it?

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazakia
View Post

Hi nice build you have there it seems like you want to go Sli with your 1000w PSU and the 780i but to me Sli was never worth it. You pay double the money for a bit of extra performance and lots of bugs. You should get a X38 board and just step up with your GTS. Hwne you decide to buy your second GTS maybe a new 9 series card will have come out that is chaper and has better performance than the GTS.

I was originally thinking SLI, but am undecided at the moment. Call me a noob, but X38 implies an ATI slant right? Nothing against it, just making sure I understood how the chipsets work. Currently my understanding is if I want to run an NVIDIA card I need to use a board with an NVIDIA chipset.

Quote:

Also im not sure why you need DDR2 1000 RAM, you could just get DDR2 800 and Overclock them to those speeds.

It just seemed to be one I latched on to while reading threads. Alternate suggestions are welcome.

edit: I am doing the 2 x 2G setup due to seeing trends with people having trouble with doing 4 x 1G setups.

Quote:

The raptors also seem a bit overkill but yea whatever. Also you missed out the CPU cooler and don't tell me you're not going to OC that Quad. The Thermalright ultra 120 extreme (TRUE) or the Tuniq Tower 120 will both take care of that Quad up to around 3.4Ghz. Also watercooling seems to be able to fit in your budget, ever thought of it?

About the dual raptors...yes, I know it looks like overkill, but I don't want a HD bottleneck. That's my reasoning.

With regards to overclocking and watercooling, they are down the road projects that are definitely going to happen. (Still researching them)

#7 ·
1. X38 (or P35!) doesn't imply an ATI slant necessarily, you just can't run more than one NVIDIA card. Since you already have one, and only one, this si a nonissue, and I think the general opinion is that intel chipsets are better in a bang-for-buck sense if you aren't SLI-ing.

2. If you have the cash you could wait a month and go X48+DDR3.

3. Or if you don't you could save a bunch of cash with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (or even L!), or a DFI Bloodiron.

4. You could also get a Wolfdale rather than a Q6600, save some cash and have a chip that performs at least as well if not better in most games.

5. The 8800GT is 90% of the performance of a GTS for 75% of the cost. Just Sayin'.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schroedinger
View Post

1. X38 (or P35!) doesn't imply an ATI slant necessarily, you just can't run more than one NVIDIA card. Since you already have one, and only one, this si a nonissue, and I think the general opinion is that intel chipsets are better in a bang-for-buck sense if you aren't SLI-ing.

I don't have the card yet. I do however, want the ability to expand if I decide to go SLI or Crossfire. Exception, the 3870x2 that ATI just put out.

Quote:

2. If you have the cash you could wait a month and go X48+DDR3.

My piggie bank doesn't have enough cash for all the goodies especially if I continue to see newegg advertising DDR3 for $500+ (4G sets). I've been saving since my last build. As you can see it's pretty old technology wise. See below. What's AGP?

Quote:

3. Or if you don't you could save a bunch of cash with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (or even L!), or a DFI Bloodiron.

The possible option for SLI or Crossfire goes away down the road with those unfortunately.

Quote:

4. You could also get a Wolfdale rather than a Q6600, save some cash and have a chip that performs at least as well if not better in most games.

I really have my heart set on a quad.
Unless, someone has a good link to a discussion thread on pros and cons with duos vs quads.

Quote:

5. The 8800GT is 90% of the performance of a GTS for 75% of the cost. Just Sayin'.

On that note, how would either one handle a 24 inch monitor?

I really appreciate the inputs and suggestions. Keep them coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.