Overclock.net banner

EVGA step-up question - 9800 GTX

533 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Iqbay46464 
#1 ·
Hey guys... i have a quick question. I'm starting a new gaming build from scratch, and I'm trying to figure out what video card to get. I'm looking at getting two 8800 GTS in SLI (about $420 total) or a single 9800 GTX ($300). However, I am aware that the 9 series has not been considered a big step up from the 8 series, and that Nvidia will probably release a significantly better generation of cards this July/August.

My question is about EVGA's step-up program: if i buy a single 9800 gtx now (at $300), will i still be eligible for the step-up program when this new generation comes around? I have never had any EVGA products so I'm not sure how this works.

Also, if you've got any advice on my choice of video cards to begin with, let me know - I'm looking for something that will play on a 22'' monitor at high resolutions and details, but I also want to look towards future upgradeability.

Thanks!

#2 ·
EVGA's step up program lasts for 90 days, so you'll have most of the way into july. I wouldn't rely on a new generation coming out by then though.

SLI'd GTS's would be much better than the single GTX.

#8 ·
The whole 9900Series is nothing but rumour. So i'd take that with a pinch of salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.