Overclock.net banner

good CHEAP intel mobo

784 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Ch13f121 
#1 ·
hey guys, im an AMD guy(its what i ended up with, and the OC i have done yet), but my parents want me to upgrade their computer ( a dell 4550) and the mobo is a big limiting factor. it will likely not even be OC'ed, so thats not an issue. it needs to have internal usb 2 conections, and the cpu is a 2.53ghz, i havn't had a chance to CPU-Z ID it, so i cant help you much more than that (im not at the computer) and preferably it would have more than 2ram slots, will be running 2 optical drives and IDE HDD's. so any ideas on a basic, cheap, good mobo? thanks for the help.

#2 ·
no one has any input, not even some basic guidlines, no good deals that anyone has found out there... thats amazing.... (is it because i said i was an AMD guy?.... i thought that i explaned that, its just what i have right now and it is my first OC... now will i get some help..?)

#3 ·
I'm sure no one declined to help you since you declared you're an AMD guy. Your post was probably just lost in the holiday traffic.

If the processor you're looking for is a 2.53, it's most likely a Northwood that runs on a 533 MHz FSB. Looking at some options on Newegg, going beyond 2 RAM slots is (surprisingly) a big cost item. You can get a cheap 2 slot board for around $40, but the 3 and 4 slot boards start in the $60 range. All that being said, this mobo is the cheapest one that appears to meet all of your specs. Generally, Asus mobos have a fair amount of overclocking options, so even though you don't plan on overclocking that computer, you'll have the option of fiddling with the folks' computer when you're at home and bored.

#4 ·
thanks for the input, so if i stayed to 2 ram slots then i could get one way cheaper? i hope you all know i was kidding about you guys not answering because im an amd guy, everyone on this forum is great.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, some people miss the fact that this is such a friendly and helpful place. It seems pretty darn obvious to me, but it's better to risk missing a joke than offending a touchy person.

Yeah, sticking with just 2 RAM slots can save you a bundle on the lower end motherboards. Here is a list of mobos at Newegg that support Socket 478 at 533 MHz. I wouldn't be too high on the lower dollar ones for my own use, but I wouldn't think twice about using them for a computer I was building for my folks.

#7 ·
I'd say go with an abit VT7, its about 60 bucks...and its pretty good, as you can see in my profile, I have one myself...it doesn't overclock too well, but I managed to get my 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz as you can see. It supports pressy's and northy's, just about any p4 you can think of that are socket 478. Not to mention it supports dual channel as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=09-3516270-2
here it is from newegg. 62 dollars.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeric

Unfortunately, some people miss the fact that this is such a friendly and helpful place. It seems pretty darn obvious to me, but it's better to risk missing a joke than offending a touchy person.

that is very true, and im glad that there are people like you out there, that understand that. ( i tip my hat to you)

that list was helpful, now if i just knew what kind of GPU they had (the slot) i think they said it was a 64mb nvidia, is what dell uses likely to be AGP or what.... i haven't seen inside it, wait never mind, most of these are only agp, so thats what im guessing dell uses, im not to knowledgable about GPUs... yet.

thanks for the help boys. you've been most kind.

#9 ·
Here are the specs on the Dell 4550s. Although there is some variability among the specs, they list the video at AGP 4X for all of the models. If you have any questions about which specific board to get or have any issues setting it up, please post back.

#10 ·
thanks taeric, i was looking at this mobo because of the good reviews and the fact that i could add SATA later on if that was needed. a few questions though. this one is a micro atx mobo, what differences are there from a normal ATX... aka will it fit in there case in the normal mounding position or will it need to be custom mounted. ( they have the normal case size one, not the little one). the same company makes another board for like the same price, but its a normal ATX and it got worse reviews. any thoughts? any specific things you have against this one? thanks alot.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by logan

thanks taeric, i was looking at this mobo because of the good reviews and the fact that i could add SATA later on if that was needed. a few questions though. this one is a micro atx mobo, what differences are there from a normal ATX... aka will it fit in there case in the normal mounding position or will it need to be custom mounted. ( they have the normal case size one, not the little one). the same company makes another board for like the same price, but its a normal ATX and it got worse reviews. any thoughts? any specific things you have against this one? thanks alot.

Nah not really, you can put a microATX mobo in a normal atx case, it doesn't go to the bottom of the case that's about it. I personally wouldn't go with it because its pcchips, which is under ECS elitegroup I think...and they make crap boards
IMO. As I said, I like my vt7 for what it can do, I got mine for 40 bucks off of ebay, but like my link said, 62 bucks, and you won't regret it...

#12 ·
unfortunately newegg is out of stock.... i think my high price will be like $45. any good ones for that price? what specifically is bad about the PCchips boards? or are they just a crap brand? im open to suggestions. but cost is important, and its for my parents, who wont be OCing... so thats not a factor. the one i linked to had better reviews than this one and cost like 25 less...any ideas why?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.