Overclock.net banner

[Freeware]GameSave Manager

56K views 412 replies 52 participants last post by  GekzOverlord 
#1 ·
NOTE: I did not create this program. InsaneMatt did.
His first post in this thread can be found here.
I'd also like to note that I didn't "find" this program; I am an ALPHA tester.

What is GameSave Manager?
GameSave Manager is a FREE program which allows you to backup, restore and even transfer your gamesaves to other machines.
It's great for those who like to share gamesave progress with friends/family, format frequently, paranoid about data loss, etc...
No longer do you need to rummage through loads of directories, trying to find your GameSaves; GameSave Manager does it for you.
Have a game that's not supported? No problem; using the "Custom GameSave Entries" you can define your own GameSaves for GameSave Manager to search for.

GameSave Manager does not come bundled with any "nasties" (adware, spyware, etc...).
Excluding it's optional "Check for Updates" and "Auto-Update" features, GSM doesn't access the internet.

Still not sure? Try it in a Virtual Machine and see for yourself!

Download:
You can download this program for FREE via the official website.

Officially Supported Games:
The "Officially Supported Games Database" is always being updated.
You can find a full list of officially supported games via this link.

As of 13/12/2014, there are 3039 Games supported.

Updating the "Officially Supported Games" database:

To receive the update, do one of the following:
  1. Launch GameSave Manager with the "/update_db" commandline (requires you to allow GameSave Manager to access the internet to download and apply the update directly).
  2. Enable the "Auto-Update" function (again, requires GSM to have internet access).
    GameSave Manager will then automatically update the database next time you launch GSM.
  3. Launch GameSave Manager and click the "Check for Updates" button from the Main Menu (yes, you've guessed it... requires GSM to have internet access).
  4. Manually download the database update. Extract the gsdu file from the zip archive.
    Now do one of the following:
    • Double-click the "gsdu" file (requires the File Association with ".gsdu" files to be assigned with GameSave Manager).
      ...OR...
    • Run GameSave Manager with the following commandline:
      "/open: %1"
    Where %1 is the full file path to the .gsdu file.
    Include the quotation marks around the commandline too!

Spread the word:
Find GameSave Manager useful? Then please help spread the word by adding the following to your Signature:

Code:

Code:
[CODE]
[center]Want to backup your game-saves? Introducing...[/center][center]
[url=http://www.overclock.net/other-software/594322-gamesave-manager.html][B][COLOR=GREEN]GameSave Manager[/COLOR][/B][/url][/center]
[/CODE]

InsaneMatt is always grateful for suggestions, opinions (both positive and negative), etc..
Found a bug? Please let him know; after all it wont get fixed if no-one reports it!
Want a game to be "officially supported"? Let him know, and he will see what he can do.
You can contact him via this thread, the PM'ing system of this forum, the Official Website or the steam group.

Screenshots:
Removed due to being outdated.

See less See more
#3 ·
your welcome

theres also a new update

Changes in 1.3 (Build 1139):
-----------------------------
--Fixed a detection issue for the "World of Goo" entry.
--Fixed a minor issue with the "Update Reminder" displaying every day if the user sets it to 00.
--Minor alterations to the "Default Configuration", allowing GSM to be more portable.
--A complete re-design of the "Program Settings" page, making it easier to use and more professional looking.
--GameSave Manager will now save to %LAUNCH%\\config if it hasn't been installed (where %LAUNCH% is the full path to where GameSave Manager was launched from), allowing it to be truely portable.
--Altered the way GameSave Manager stores the "Last Updated" date.
--Improved the way GameSave Manager "remembers" the last directory used (now includes Settings too).
--Setup Wizard change - "Additional Options" are now listed BEFORE installing.
--Setup Wizard change - A new option has been added ("Don't create a Uninstaller"), it's designed to help the user make GSM portable from the get-go.
--Slight re-design to the HTML page GameSave Manager generates.
--Added a "Don't display Icons or game-save paths in the list" and "Don't show the GSM Banner in the list" options to the Program Settings - useful for those who just want a basic list to view.
--Very minor tweaks performed to the Detection Engine.
--A few alterations to the "Help File" have been made.
--Added compatibility for the following game(s):
----Colin McRae: DiRT
----Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

also anyone can help add more games easily by veryfying that there custom gamesave entries work

#4 ·
Until a few hours ago, I didn't even know this thread existed (whoops).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
Yeah this program works so well . I used it today . thank god I can finnaly format my old hdd. Thanks to you and InsaneMatt !!!
Glad you've found it useful.
Just remember to backup your Settings if you have Custom GameSave Entries (do this via the "Backup" button on the Program Settings dialog).

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
I cant tell you how many headaches ive had trying to transfer my game saves from one OS install to another.
IDK if Batman Arkham Asylum is on the supported games list . But Gamesave Manager found my offline gamesaves and transferred them perfectly.
Again, I'm glad you've found GameSave Manager useful.
With regards to Batman: Arkham Asylum, yes it is supported.

You can check what games are in the database at any time by clicking "File->List current supported games". This will list both "official" and "custom" entries.

#10 ·
It really blows my mind that more people arent aware of this. Nor do they seem to care. I cant stress how incredibly easy this was to use, nor how many headaches it is going to save me. point, click, reformat, install, point, click, done, GAME. Again thank you . I cant wait till everyone realizes how kick arse this is to have. I even keep a copy on my keychain flash stick cause I tell you what it sure is handy to have when I need a game save from a friend, etc.

#12 ·
im soo tempted to put this in the news section but ill post it here for now, i havent been active lately cos i sold my motherboard for an upgrade in 2 weeks time so havent been in contact with InsaneMatt but just checked the website and theres a new release

heres a changelog

Changes in v1.3 (Build 1282):
-----------------------------
--Fixed a detection issue for the "Xfire" entry.
--Fixed an issue when trying to restore a Settings Backup via double-clicking it from Windows Explorer and GSM stating it's an invalid backup.
--Fixed a minor issue which would create Start Menu shortcuts despite the user choosing not to make an uninstaller.
--Fixed a very minor GUI issue on the Program Settings dialog.
--Fixed an issue with the progress of the Icon Cache not appearing when loading GSM.
--The "Change Log" is now listed within the program, as apposed to a very basic HTML document (can still be exported to a slightly better HTML Document).
--Added a "GameSave Manager on Overclock.net" entry to the Help Menu-Bar.
--Added a new commandline "/?" which, when used, displays a full list of available commandlines you can use.
--Added a new commandline "/skipcheck" which forces GameSave Manager to allow multiple instances of itself ran at a time.
--Added an "Abort" button to the "GameSave Manager restarting..." dialog.
--Added a "Rescan" button to the Restore and Edit Archive pages - allowing you to re-scan the selected backup archive if needed.
--Added a "Include STEAM Details in backup" option to the Backup Page - Untick to get GSM to use your Settings, instead of built-in STEAM Details from the Backup Archive.
--Added a better "Set Password" dialog box.
--Added a new "No Icon" image.
--Added an "Don't cache Icons on program startup" option to the Program Settings, allowing for quicker load times.
--Added an "Clean out the Icon Cache too" option to the Program Settings, allowing the user to get GSM to delete all the Game Icon cache from their system on close.
--Added the ability to use the "(Default)" Registry Value when adding a Custom GameSave Entry (simply leave the "Value" blank).
--Added the ability for GSM to use "portable" settings on a system which has GSM installed.
--Added a "Packages" screen to the Installer.
--Enhanced security - As requested by a few people, GameSave Manager now encrypts your STEAM Details within it's settings database.
--Enhanced security - Security checks performed when checking for program updates have been tweaked.
--Re-worded the "STEAM Warning" message and "STEAM Info" message (from the Program Settings dialog).
--Minor tweaks to the Restore Engine, allowing for "Warnings" to be included for Official entries (similar to the warnings for backing up).
--Minor tweaks to the Detection Engine, fixing issues with the Detection of STEAM Cache and STEAM Cloud directories when restoring.
--Very minor tweaks for extra Windows Seven compatibility.
--A few minor alterations to the EXE icons.
--Added compatibility for the following game(s):
----AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
----Anno 1404
----Borderlands
----Counter Strike: Source
----CSI: New York - The Game
----Divinity II: Ego Draconis
----Dragon Age: Origins
----Dreamkiller
----EVE Online
----Max Payne
----Mini Ninjas
----Need For Speed: Carbon
----Painkiller: Overdose
----Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
----Risen
----Saw: The Videogame
----Second Life
----Silent Hunter 3
----Stranglehold
----Terminator Salvation
----Test Drive: Unlimited
----The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
----The Movies
----The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
----Thief: Deadly Shadows
----Trials 2: Second Edition
----Torchlight
----Tropico 3
----Velvet Assassin
----Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
----Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
----Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm
----Wolfenstien
----World of Warcraft

Source

Hope u enjoy the new release GSM can only get better with the help from the community

#14 ·
!!!

This program is absolutely amazing.

Steam Cloud sync as well

Found all the games that I've got, so I'm happy. Also, the feature to disable certain game backups is win.

Plus, it backups my Logitech G15 macro profiles AND my Ventrilo settings.
This program is definitely worth paying for, actually. You guys deserve immense kudos.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilyn
View Post

!!!

This program is absolutely amazing.

Steam Cloud sync as well

Found all the games that I've got, so I'm happy. Also, the feature to disable certain game backups is win.

Plus, it backups my Logitech G15 macro profiles AND my Ventrilo settings.
This program is definitely worth paying for, actually. You guys deserve immense kudos.

haha Awesome xD originaly it was games... but as the program gradualy became more useful, matt decided to add in game related stuff as well like Teamspeak, ventrilo xfire etc
im tempted to put up a donation thing on the website but its all upto matt in the end... he has spent so much time on this program that im sure he deserves at least recognition of what he has achieved even if other ppl are not aware of this program yet

you mind if i quote that message and put it on the main website under your OCN username ?

#17 ·
Cheers dude xD spread the word about gsm if yah want... and as stated in previous posts u can help out just by saying where your game saves save to so they can be added to gsm "Custom entries ftw"

edit: i hope people dont think this program automaticly backups at so and so intervals, might be a new feature matt can add in later releases hmmm

#19 ·
ROFL
glad i class my self as english xD "Those Brits" Sounds offensive lolz but meh... happy "Spammin" xD added the quote to the main site as well.. the main site needs ALOT of work doing on it... prefarbly a non free host >.<

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GekzOverlord View Post
ROFL
glad i class my self as english xD "Those Brits" Sounds offensive lolz but meh... happy "Spammin" xD added the quote to the main site as well.. the main site needs ALOT of work doing on it... prefarbly a non free host >.<

No offense meant broski.

Technically, only two of them are full blown English. The other is Scottish. But it's fairly close... Geographically...

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilyn View Post
No offense meant broski.

Technically, only two of them are full blown English. The other is Scottish. But it's fairly close... Geographically...

lolz non taken
gotta love the scotish

anyways im off for now... catch yah soon

#23 ·
A shameless "bump" and progress report (yes, I remembered this thread existed this time lol).

I'm currently working on a way to "schedule" backup tasks now (as GekzOverlord hinted at should be included a while back - both in this thread and in another one from another forum).
So far I've managed to achieve the following:
--GameSave Manager can add itself to the "Windows Scheduled Tasks database" using the schedule the user gives (still buggy).
--After adding a few extra commandlines to GSM (and a whole lot of work on the Backup Engine) it can now run a backup task "unattended".
--Added the ability to run GSM "silently" (allowing the user to carry on doing whatever it is on their machine without being interupted). This is, of course, an optional setting.
--Added the ability for GSM to "append" a filename when running a scheduled task (mybackup.gsba, mybackup(2).gsba, mybackup(3).gsba, etc..)

I still have a major issue in which Windows doesn't always wish to run GSM from the "Scheduled Task" and thus this is where my question comes in.
Is such a feature worth me continuing to work on? Would you find it useful if GSM could automatically backup your gamesaves (the ones you select) every other day, or month or whatever?

Seeing as I've put a fair amount of hours into it already, I'll be at least leaving the commandlines and the Backup Engine changes in so users can make BAT scripts to backup automatically for easier routinely performed backups.

#24 ·
I think it depends on the user.

I personally would use the feature for a couple weeks. But after that, I kind of stop playing games that require saving

I'm getting back into Fallout 3, so that feature would be kind of nice to have.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilyn
View Post

I think it depends on the user.

I personally would use the feature for a couple weeks. But after that, I kind of stop playing games that require saving

I'm getting back into Fallout 3, so that feature would be kind of nice to have.

I'm like that too - thus I've made sure you can edit / remove scheduled tasks once you don't require them.
I like to backup my settings for multiplayer games too (key-bindings, graphics settings, etc..), and I'm sure others do so I guess it would be useful? I dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.