Overclock.net banner

395mhz FSB

906 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  yasha32 
#1 ·
#2 ·
well it very well could be legit. He's probably got his cpu and RAM underclocked to he/she's just looking for the board's max stable htt.

when I underclocked my 3200+ and RAM my board would boot at 250Mhz htt.

this practice is useful for determining the max frequencies of each of your components... underclock your cpu and RAM and find your board's max... then underclock your RAM and find your cpu's max... then underclock your cpu and find your RAM's max... then once you know the maxes you can put them together for your OC and you just have to tweak from there.

#3 ·
ok am a noob at overclocking. If say I use a 10x multipler and use a 290mhz FSB. And a divider, will the cpu run at 2900mhz? Or will I need to crank up the vcore.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negotiator

ok am a noob at overclocking. If say I use a 10x multipler and use a 290mhz FSB. And a divider, will the cpu run at 2900mhz? Or will I need to crank up the vcore.

Yes, if it booted up it would be at 2.9ghz You might need to increase Vcore slightly to get it stable, depending on what it is at now. A divider is only going to slow down your ram.

#5 ·
Ok, another example. MAX FSB on ram might be say 230. SO if I use a 11x multipler I will have 2530mhz, yes? My ram wont need a divider then will it? Also is the multiplyer controlled by the mobo, or the cpu? What is the lowest and highest multiplyer on a opteron 146 cacje?

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negotiator

Ok, another example. MAX FSB on ram might be say 230. SO if I use a 11x multipler I will have 2530mhz, yes? My ram wont need a divider then will it? Also is the multiplyer controlled by the mobo, or the cpu? What is the lowest and highest multiplyer on a opteron 146 cacje?

That processor has a max multi of 10x. But yes, theoretically if it did have an 11x and your ram was stable at 230mhz, you would have 2530mhz and could run a 1:1 divider.

#9 ·
Depends. You can set those settings and not raise the vcore, but if Windows won't load then raising the Vcore is one of many htings you could try tog et it to boot. You coould also raise the chipset voltage, lower the HTT multi (it should already be lowered to 4), or if you suspect the RAM is your problem, you could give it more power, loosen its timings, put it on 2t instead of 1t, and if all that fails, then introduce a divider. Divider is the last option though, you'd rather not run one

#11 ·
well if you don't increase the vcore you won't be able to OC as far.

basically you need to find the max your cpu is stable at. so underclock your rAM by putting it on a dividor and increase your htt by about 10Mhz at a clip. (keep your cpu multi at 10x for this) and keep booting until your system is not prime95 stable for 5 min. then go down about 3mhz until it is stable. this is your max cpu speed. do this w/ stock voltage and it will tell you how high your cpu will go on stock vcore... then just add some vcore and go from there... you don't want to go any higher than about .3v higher... so you'll want to stay under 1.65v or so (actually that's a bit high depending on your cooling)

once you've found your board max (as I described in my last post) and yoru cpu max then find your RAM max. underclock your cpu and raise your htt w/ your RAM on a 1:1 dividor (no dividor) run memtest test 5 or 6 a couple passes to make sure it is stable... when it isn't stable anymore either loosen the timings and/or increase the voltage a bit and then try again to find your max RAM frequency. once you get to where you think the max is then run test 8 for about 20 passes.

once you know the max for your mobo, cpu and RAM multipy each by .95 and you'll have an idea where the safe frequencies are... then you can figure out what your overclocking settings should be.

#12 ·
ok, I am understanding OC now, thanx guys. But their is one last thing, I dont understand. Say my ram FSB tops was 230. But my mobo was running at 240 FSB
with a 10x multi, which makes 2400mhz. What divider will I need to use, what ratio?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.