Overclock.net banner

LanpArty SLi-DR Expert

790 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  blair 
#1 ·
Hey Guys my system is as in my sig.

Now i just got my ram, i've memtested it for over 10 hours no errors what so ever @200mh 3-4-4-8 @2.8v

Now after priming for about 15 mins my system dicides to lock up???

could this be my cpu being rubbish as it is of the older first generation A64's??

or could it be something else??

M Cpu temps are fine also at around 45C Load

My video card is at 52C @stock

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
yeah i've got this looonnng guide about memory timing and what are best for stability/performance and i've followed that to get the most stable ram settings.

as i said before i've memtested it for over 8 hours prolly closer to 10.

it porked out (so to speak) after 18 minutes

[Sat Mar 04 13:21:37 2006]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.49609375, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

that's the error i got on the second run (first just froze - hard reboot), i'm running it again now.. for thrid time just to see if it comes up again, i'm thinking it could be CPU heat related, as the Expert is known for not giving accurate CPU temp results... i'm seeing 35 under load from prime Large FFT tests... i heard form you i think it can be 8-15C off which leaves me at about 50C

EDIT: i have flashed to 12-07 bios (latest on website)

#4 ·
With the Expert run Memtest first off to check that the timings are good for that particualr setting. Do a full loop and then loop test #8 for 10-15 - no errors then work on getting the OS to run OK... check Vcore as well as this may need a bit of a bump to help settle Prime down.

BTW Your modules should be in the Orange slots and these 1GB modules tend to work well at 3-3-3-8 Vdimm 2.8-2.95v which allows some good headroom for OC'ing.

The 3000+ is always a challenge due to the x9 on it so getting this run run fast and well needs a good spped on the MB. A bump on the LDT voltage can help a but as well.

The Expert has nice features and takes a bit more to get use to than the older MBs... but overall will provide a better OC for the same components (TCCx excepted)

GL

#5 ·
Are you having these prime failures at stock speed? As ncsa said the expert does not like auto settings much. What are all the voltages set at?

off topic @ncsa why do you say TCCx excepted? I have had no issues with them and I see you use them.

#6 ·
I've got the same mobo and RAM... running the newest bios.

settings as such:
250x11
RAM at 1:1
timings: 3-4-4-8 1T everything else is default.

runs perfectly stable on my system

#7 ·
The Expert BIOS is just not tuned for TCCx and while some may have success there are few who are able to run their modules at DDR600+ as you can on the Ultra-D or older nF4 MBs.

Generally you will find that these MBs will like running TCCx at high speeds > 280 (DDR560) 1T but they are good MBs for the new type of modules 1Gb and the older BH/UTT high Voltage modules.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncsa

The Expert BIOS is just not tuned for TCCx and while some may have success there are few who are able to run their modules at DDR600+ as you can on the Ultra-D or older nF4 MBs.

Generally you will find that these MBs will like running TCCx at high speeds > 280 (DDR560) 1T but they are good MBs for the new type of modules 1Gb and the older BH/UTT high Voltage modules.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way. it took me a couple days to get my TCCD stable at DDR500. I was able to run 2.5-3-3-7 just like I was w/ my Asus board, but I had to switch to 2T. W/ my new g.skill HZ's my system booted right up at DDR500, 3-4-4-8 1T. I think I might try 3-4-3-8 or even see if I can get 2.5... but sometime when I have some more time.

#9 ·
from all the comments given so far, it seems there are two factors that are different from everyone elses... I have a really old CPU, and cruddy Video Card, i think at this point in time i want to blame it on the CPU and not the ram...

i think i mentioned earlier that i've memtested for over 8 hours (whilst i slept) and it cam back with no errors, so that's saying to me the ram won't be a reason why my system is freezing, BSOD'ing and randomly restarting... although this has only happened since i installed the new memory which makes me wonder.... i would still like to say the CPU just doesn't like the ram.. as it's older and possibly has a bug in the Memory Controller... it could also just be my memory settings. i'll try it all some more in the next few hours...

Mem: 2.8v
CPU 1.45v (from 1.40v)

EDIT: Yes i am having these prime failures at stock speeds

#11 ·
well the RAM divider fixed it all up now been running prime 95 for nearly 2 hours and no hickups at HTT 240Mhz with the 333mhz divider.

so i rest my case with this one, i was able to boot at up to 300mhz but only was it windows stable at 240... i will try some tweaking and pushing to get it further along from there, hoping for 260... doubt i'll get there
hahaha i think 250 will be far more reachable..

and what CPU voltage should i use for this 3000 whinny??

#13 ·
ok i'll try to keep myself in those specs, and i've just successfully primed for over 11 hours
i bet that means my system is now STABLE
yay

now i've got to push it that little bit further to reach 250 HTT

EDIT: I just need to wait to get a new CPU now.. most likely Opteron 170, or 148 (depending on prices) I am leaning more toward the 170 Dual Core. I'm prolly getting the 7800GT in the next 2 weeks... (borrowing form friend who is buying 2, i'm buying two shortly after
)

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ±PinK=FloYd±

wat vcore you using? and how much airflow you hav eon your ram?

I've got loads of Air Flow over my ram thanks to the Zalman 7700Cu
THe HS hangs over one of my modules, (makes it hard to install the damn thing) and the other is out of the way, but airflow is still fairly good.

I'm using 1.52v for my Vcore atm i can prolly take that down a bit now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.