Overclock.net banner

6GB on 32-bit????

458 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Unl33t 
#1 ·
Now... My understanding is this:

With a 32bit operating system... Windows will only SEE 3.25GB Correct?

or is it that it will see the whole amount...but only utalize 3.25GB?

cause mine is showing this... and so far its showing quite a considerable amound of speed more than the 2GB i was running before..

See less See more
#2 ·
Just because it shows it, doesn't mean you can use it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Unl33t
#3 ·
It won't be able to use all of it. To use any more than 4GB (not including other system memory), one must use a PAE kernal. Then, on top of that, apps must be coded to address this extra memory and utilise the PAE kernal (which 99.9% of apps) aren't.

So, for all realistic purposes, using over 4GB memory on a 32bit OS won't work.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
Just because it shows it, doesn't mean you can use it.
That was my way of thinking. so technically its only utalizing 3.25 correct?

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unl33t View Post
That was my way of thinking. so technically its only utalizing 3.25 correct?
It depends on how much vRAM your GPU has, and how much your BIOS takes up, plus any other additional cards, and onboard features you're using. You could be only using 2.5GB of memory honestly (if that's a 1GB card). Might be 3.0GB, might be 3.25GB.

EDIT:
One way you can check is open up task manager. Go to the Performance tab. See what it says for "Total" physical memory.

• Rep+
Reactions: gonX
#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
It depends on how much vRAM your GPU has, and how much your BIOS takes up, plus any other additional cards, and onboard features you're using. You could be only using 2.5GB of memory honestly (if that's a 1GB card). Might be 3.0GB, might be 3.25GB.

EDIT:
One way you can check is open up task manager. Go to the Performance tab. See what it says for "Total" physical memory.
well I got a 64 bit copy from work. might as well upgrade to that then I guess lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.