Overclock.net banner

[TPU] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 [now w/SLI!] Preliminary Review

23K views 249 replies 122 participants last post by  timAHH 
#1 ·
Since no one is posting this..

Quote:
Enter the GeForce GTX 580. If two weeks ago somebody told us that today NVIDIA would be hard-launching a new high-end graphics processor under a new product family (the GeForce GTX 500 series), we'd have laughed out loud. We were too busy looking in AMD's direction for its new high-end GPU in the works, which is still nowhere in the horizon. It's that freaky moment in which you're slowly treading your way in a fairly linear horror FPS game, and turn around to find a monster breathing down on you. If the fact that NVIDIA was working on releasing a new high-end successor to the Fermi based GTX 480 today wasn't surprise enough, the fact the GeForce GTX 580 is claimed by NVIDIA to be the "best" GPU, and not just the fastest, certainly is. The GeForce GTX 480 gave us more than satisfactory performance, but was a bit of a let down on the thermals, and power consumption fronts. The claim that NVIDIA made the GeForce GTX 580 to outperform the GTX 480 and have better thermals and lower power draw certainly raises some eyebrows, because NVIDIA is building the GF110 GPU on a TSMC 40 nm process, just like the existing GF100 "Fermi".
NOTE: This is a PRELIMINARY REVIEW. The page is stamped with Preliminary all over the place!

Quick summary:
1) It will be $499
2) It consumes less power than a 480, more than a 5970
3) Quieter than the 5xxx/GTX 4xx line/GTX280
4) Beats the 5970 in a half the games tested, loses in the other half

Single Card Review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...GTX_580/1.html

SLI Review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...580_SLI/1.html

See less See more
#4 ·
Reading now. Nvidia has always made schmexy kewlarz and board layouts.

Lol at first I was like:

then I wuz like, oh, 1024x768.

Honestly, looking at the results, it seems like the 580 is only filling the gap between teh 480 and 5970. ???? Are they somehow planning on making a dual gpu of the 580? Looking at its average consumption it doesn't look like it.

However it does look like it trades blows in dx11 games....sometimes. Quite impress. to be honest. Other games, not so much. It feels like the difference between the 470 and 6870. Wonder what the sli performance is like.

#7 ·
Quote:
In order to stay within the 300 W power limit, NVIDIA has added a power draw limitation system to their card. When either Furmark or OCCT are detected running by the driver, three sensors measure the inrush current and voltage on all 12 V lines (PCI-E slot, 6-pin, 8-pin) to calculate power. As soon as the power draw exceeds a predefined limit, the card will automatically clock down and restore clocks as soon as the overcurrent situation has gone away.
Some1 make a new Heatmaking software! quick!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedCow View Post
Now lets see what ATI have to offer in the 69xx before jumping around.
I think that is nvidia's major concern right now. The 580 just barely keeps up with the 5970 except 50/50 in dx11 games (which is the focus point anyways). The 6970 is going to be in direct competition with this card, more then likely costing 100 bucks cheaper (if they launch at the same price as the 5870)? Then what about the 6990, do they have any sort of competitor to that?

It seems we might have another cypress versus fermi battle all over again, just this time the cards being released at the same time. ATI still being on top. :/

What a change. Usually it is nvidia with the fastest cards. Now ATI has been in the lead for what looks to be 2 generations. Nice competition, nice nice.

edit: let alone 2 6850s beat this, already costing 100 bucks less.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
Since no one is posting this..

Quick summary:
1) It will be $499
2) It consumes less power than a 480, more than a 5970
3) Quieter than the 5xxx/GTX 4xx line/GTX280
4) Beats the 5970 in a good portion of the games tested, loses in the other portion

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...GTX_580/1.html
Thanks for the heads up mate.

Like I've been saying, I'm more interested in this than the actual card:

Quote:
NVIDIA: 258.96
GTX 580: 262.99
ATI: Catalyst 10.7
HD 6800: Catalyst 10.10
Yum...

#21 ·
i thought this would be a little better than it is. maybe with more mature drivers you will see a bigger jump in performance? it doesn't seem to be the juggernaut card i was expecting. and at $500? nah, i'm good for now lol

#22 ·
I must say, personally I am quite impressed with this card. However, it gives me no worthy benefit to sell my GTX480's and getting two of these (as I already can play everything at near perfect performance). So sad to say, but I will be skipping this generation.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Open1Your1Eyes0 View Post
I must say, personally I am quite impressed with this card. However, it gives me no worthy benefit to sell my GTX480's and getting two of these (as I already can play everything for near perfect performance). So sad to say, but I will be skipping this generation.
Might as well, the difference probably won't be noticeable
Fermi 2.0 (aka Kepler) on the other hand.. might be quite the beast

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
Might as well, the difference probably won't be noticeable
Fermi 2.0 (aka Kepler) on the other hand.. might be quite the beast

Exactly, I am hearing good things already from the core testers so I am keeping my eyes open till then.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Open1Your1Eyes0 View Post
I must say, personally I am quite impressed with this card. However, it gives me no worthy benefit to sell my GTX480's and getting two of these (as I already can play everything at near perfect performance). So sad to say, but I will be skipping this generation.
get higher resolution.. now

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by saulin View Post
Damn!

Once drivers mature I think it should be on par with the 5970 on pretty much any res. I'm impressed.
Hey, it's a year late to the party but...better late than never, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallien View Post
article saved in case it goes down, its basically same performance as a 5970 from what I'm seeing.
Looks like they trade blows and one outpaces the other a bit in select games. So yeah both are about equal.

Definitely impressive for a single GPU card. We'll see how AMD answers with their 6900 cards!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.