Overclock.net banner

HARX900 vs. HARX700 vs. AD-700

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  c00lkatz 
#1 ·
What's better for music? The JVC HARX900 or the HARX700?

Also, how much better is the Audio-Technica AD-700?

Is it worth the $15 to upgrade to the 900's from the 700's? Or likewise the $45 to the AD-700?

#3 ·
AFAIK, the RX900 is an improved version of the RX700. They are both closed back. The AD700 is an open design.

Get the RX900/700 if you want any type of bass. Get the AD700 if you do not care about bass and want superior soundstage.

#4 ·
Some people prefer the 700s> the 900s and vice versa, you kinda have to let your ears decide.The AD700 are strictly for jazzy/classical music and don't really fit if you're listening to rock or rap. On the other hand, they do make for great gaming headphones.

The HARX700's (and maybe even 900's) are great after burn in, but unless you have a small head, the metal bars do tend to put pressure and become very uncomfortable after a couple hours or so of use (just my opinion). Sadly, I made the mistake by snagging the plug on my pair, so I'm either going to have to spend $10-15 to send/ship them in, or buy a new tip at radio shack and attempt to solder a new one on. I guess I've learned my lesson and should stick to coiled headphones (V6/7056/M50 etc) for studio/home usage as I tend to move around a lot between my computer/mixer/drums. But yeah, the 700/900's are pretty amazing for the price if you pay attention and take care of them

#5 ·
The 900's are semi-closed, meaning they have an open grill with a large cap on it. They are not fully closed. As for RX700 vs 900, the 900 are definitely bass heavy. If you're not a bass-head go for the RX700's or AD700's. The AD700's are a fully open design so they will have a wider sound stage, which is good for gaming. As for overall sound quality, all three are very good. I have the 900's and use them for music and gaming, and I absolutely love them, especially after some modding and burn-in. They are very comfortable. I the pads are soft and they don't clamp very hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.