Overclock.net banner

[TPU] Bulldozer 50% Faster than Core i7 and Phenom II

17K views 180 replies 81 participants last post by  Phoenixlight 
#1 ·
Quote:

Here, take some salt. AMD reportedly gave out performance figures in a presentation to its partners, performance figures seen by DonanimHaber. It is reported that an 8-core processor based on the "Bulldozer" high-performance CPU architecture is pitched by its makers to have 50% higher performance than existing processors such as the Core i7 950 (4 cores, 8 threads), and Phenom II X6 1100T

http://www.techpowerup.com/138328/Bu...m-II.html?cp=2

#7 ·
Remember that Intel's HT has improved a lot since it first came out, each HT thread is now worth about 1/2 a core, which adds up to the quad i7 being roughly a hex core in real world performance.

But I also want some real benchies...

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by allikat
View Post

Remember that Intel's HT has improved a lot since it first came out, each HT thread is now worth about 1/2 a core, which adds up to the quad i7 being roughly a hex core in real world performance.

But I also want some real benchies...

But i thought it was 2 threads per core?

So if each thread is about 1/2 a core..

8 X .5 = 4 cores?

#14 ·
Well, if it means $350 chips and higher plus new MoBo's, they can keep there Bulldozers.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc;11993696
Well, if it means $350 chips and higher plus new MoBo's, they can keep there Bulldozers.
Knowing AMD, pricing will reflect the chip performance in comparison to the competition. The 1090T is down $70 to when it was first released and the 1100T is $30ish cheaper than the 1090T launch price.

#17 ·
Quote:
Knowing AMD, pricing will reflect the chip performance in comparison to the competition. The 1090T is down $70 to when it was first released and the 1100T is $30ish cheaper than the 1090T launch price.
Yeah but we have at least 2 and a half months till realese of Bulldozer, and reports like this talking up there chips, knowing that Intel will come right back at them around September. If you have the chip with the best numbers you controll the prices, AMD will not play second fiddle forever. I expect them to try to hit hard with Bulldozer and that means a price spike. The 1090t came out at 299.99 and I didnt touch it till I could snag a 1055t at 149.99. Im sure there not gonna debut any new chips at any less.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor;11993657
Regarding Intel's HT, each logical core has about 50% the performance of a physical core. There are 6 physical and 6 logical cores in a 980x.
please don't spew misinformation

only in some programs will HT virtual cores perform up to 50% of a real physical core

otherwise most of the time, the gains can be as low as 10%-25%

it depends on the software/program your using

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by allikat;11993622
Remember that Intel's HT has improved a lot since it first came out, each HT thread is now worth about 1/2 a core,
That's not always true. HT can actually hurt performance if the software is written well and is efficient. HT only helps if you have an idle pipeline due to a poorly written program.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Highly doubt Bd will be in Intel price league, and the fx tag is nice to see back though I hope they dont decide to drive up the price too much, gonna hold out on a new build to see what these are about and let some stuff drop before I start investing in anything new...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.