Overclock.net banner

A good breakdown of Mobile CPU's?

507 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hondajt 
#1 ·
I am just trying to find a list of mobile CPU's, and the order of how good they are. I am laptop shopping, and this is something I find really important is a strong CPU. I know every modern desktop CPU and how it performs, however when it comes to mobile, I am clueless.

Are mobile CPU's completely different than their desktop counterparts? Are they based on the same architechure? (Is a core I3 330m the same as a Core i3 530 just a lower clock, thus using less wattage?)

Intel's website used to have a great comparision of different models, but since the new SB came out, they redesigned it, and I can't find a good tool anymore.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
#3 ·
What will you be using the laptop for?

Many are actually GPU-limited now for websurfing and movie playback.

#4 ·
The i3 330m vs i3 530 is power consumption, TDP and performance. For i3 330m, you will get more power consumption and lesser TDP which Intel purposely made them to have better battery lifespan. On the other hand, i3 530 designed for desktop consumer will have higher TDP and performance will be slightly better than i3 330m. Also, power consumption will be slightly lower than the i3 330m.

Since Sandy bridge's notebook platform is coming out. Why not you buy a sandy bridge notebook. Because their integrated gpu (latest intel HD3000), you will get performance impact on gaming and HD playback content.

Prices will be the same as the current intel processor.

#6 ·
I am getting this for school. Something dual core, 4GB of DDR3, 720p/768p or higher resolution and powerful enough to watch 720p youtube video's while I have MS Office open. No gaming, only MS Office and basic internet.

I figure the HD youtube is the hardest part of that list, and I thought that was mostly CPU bound?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.