Overclock.net banner

CPU fan turns on then off!!

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  skratchwiz 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just finish a new build but when I went to switch it on the CPU fan starts for about 2 seconds then stops, and then restarts again. It keeps doing this so it never gets chance to boot.

I've tried different cpu coolers, intel stock and a corsiar a50, different ram in different slots, also fresh thermal compound. Still no joy!!

I'm thinking I've got a dead motherboard but the green led is on. I then removed the CPU and the motherboard, fans and psu power on and don't switch off. So is it my CPU?

These are the specs of my build:-

Coolermaster elite 342 case
Asus P7H55-M motherboard
Intel Pentium G6950 Dual Core Processor
Corsair cx430w PSU
2GB G-Skill 1333mhz ram
500GB hard drive
Intel stock fan or the Corsair a50

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like a cpu problem, could be the socket on the mobo though, check and make sure theres no bent pins

#5 ·
It's a brand new PSU so I don't think it's that. i have tried another PSU it still did the same thing.

I've just placed the CPU in the socket without the load lever down and it stayed switched on. I'm just gonna try and see if I can load in to the bios.

Everything is at stock speeds not been able to boot in to the bios.

#7 ·
I'll bet you anything it's the PSU, especially that power and price range of PSU.

I have many PC parts around to test with, and I can tell you that the #1 cause of no power-on or incomplete power on is the PSU, given that you've seated everything correctly (double check all the power cable plugs, RAM and GPU).

If you don't have another PSU to test with, you're SOL, but I'd go to a retailer who allows returns and try a high quality unit. Just know that after you RMA one thing after another (board, RAM etc), you still may have FAIL if you don't rule out that 430W fail-unit. I've seen so many midrange 400-500W PSUs fail to power-on certain systems, it's not funny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.